HybridZ

Need help with brake pads

Ok,

I've read the sticky and searched, and still have one issue.

I've got the "early" S12+8 Toyota calipers for the solid rotor that I think came from 1979 to 1985 4x4 pickups. The calipers were on the car when I got it with stock rotors. Time to change the pads and I want to go with something better than stock.

The problem is that Hawk and some of the others don't seem to make a pad for the early caliper. The make them for the 86-95 caliper that used vented rotors, but not for the solid rotor caliper.

Will the pads for the vented rotor caliper work? The calipers are actually the same casting, I think, but the inner dimensions are machined differently because the vented rotor is thicker.

I can find pads from KEM, Beck Arnley, Raybestos, Etc. but they all seem to be more OEM oriented.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill

Copied from datsun1200.com forum:

``dattoman_1000:

For the 4 spot Cruiser/Hilux calipers heres a rundown on what they fit.

I'll use my part #'s as a way of identifying the units.

EC460 all 4wd hilux 79-88 up till LN106. These use staggered piston sizes. Only came in solid disc configuration.Take DB288 pads

EC526 LN106 and LN130 89-91.All same size pistons (same size as larger one in EC460). Only came in vented disc configuration. Take DB1149 pads

After 91 and for the later models like LN167 and the various imports I don't carry stock of them so I don't have a #. All have vented discs. DB1149 pads

All landcruisers to 1990 when the HZJ series started used the same caliper

EC458 same staggered piston design as EC460 but fitted vented disc. There was an odd L/cruiser with solid discs but you'd be hard pressed to come across one of those so its irrelevent (would be EC460 if you had these). DB288 pads

HZJ75 series EC526. Same caliper as LN106/130 hilux. All pistons large size and vented disc only.DB1149 pads

HZJ79 is the later traybacks troopys and use a different caliper (EC142) vented disc and all pistons same large size. DB1365 pads

HZJ80 there are 2 different calipers. Both use larger pistons again than the EC526 and are avail with 2 different mounts and gaps for 2 thickness discs. My #'s EC532 and EC534 respectively. DB1199 pads

100 series run a bigger caliper again. Staggered piston design again with a larger piston again than the 80 series and 2 pistons the same size as the 80 series. Require genuine pistons and kits at this stage to overhaul as the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet. I don't carry these calipers yet so no part #. DB1365 pads''

I believe the ECXXX are Ferodo part numbers while the DB are an Australian company (DBA brakes).

Hope this helps,

Dave