HybridZ

Tilt front end

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone added a tilt front end to their Z (not ZX)? Curious as to what type of modifications are needed/recommended (ie...for structural rigidity). Any recommendations as to where to buy this front end?

Guest Anonymous

Johnny,

J.C. Whitney has one for about $600 and I think that it comes with all the hardware and brackets to install it too. I saw it in thier catalog a couple of weeks ago and I wish that I would have known that before I bought my fiberglass fenders and hood!!! smile.gif I don't think that you will be able to use the stock bumpers with it...but I'm sure that you could get some of those fiberglass bumpers from Motorsport Auto and attach them to the tilt frontend somehow. See ya...

Lee

Guest Anonymous

I am going to be buying the front end from JC Whitney in the next few months. It looks like a good unit but they said I would need to add $150.00 to the $600.00 due to the truck shipping. I plan on adding another layer of light fiberglass and some structural members because my car is used for street and the front end is designed for racing. I'll let everybody know how it looks when I get it.

SpencZ

Guest Anonymous

Myron,

Sorry, but I don't want to sell the fenders and hood. The front fenders are from Jim Cook Racing and they have square headlights and are about 2" wider than stock...so they wouldn't look right unless you were going to flare the back as well. And, I just ordered the hood from Jim Cook also...it's a Cowl Induction hood like the J.C. Whitney model, but I'm not sure about the difference in quality. My friend has the same JCR hood that I ordered and it looks great so that's why I ordered it from Jim Cook...plus it was the same price as J.C. Whitney. $400 for the hood and $450 for the front fenders from JCR. The number to JCR is 1-800-JCR-1440. See ya...

Lee

------------------

260Z, 327, T5, JCR California Z

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/ripnshred.html

I'd also throw in a word of caution here. All fiberglass is not the same. I have bought stuff from JC Whitney in the past and the Glass was very thin and had LOTS of air bubbles in it. I saw the tilt front end in their catalog a few years ago and wanted to buy it. I'd love to hear what the quality is when you guys get it. Might change my mind. The GOOD glass I have had experience with has come from Import Performacne Products, MSA, and Arizona Zcar. I have also owned Glass from JCR and it was top notch! Just be carefull and make sure the stuf you get is THICK and not Wavy....!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Myron,

The shipping charge was about $150 to my door...it had to come by AAA Cooper truck lines. Sandy at JCR said that if you can have it delivered to a business, then it would only be about $100...I guess they charge a little more to bring it to a residence, which makes it harder for the big trucks to get to. But, I agree with Mike, be careful when buying fiberglass parts and make sure you get what you pay for, ya know? I bought my rear flares from Jim Biondo...he had them laying around the garage and never used them. He bought them from JCR also and was going to put them on his Z but never did, so I lucked up and he sold and shipped them to me for $150. He shipped them UPS and insured them for $200...and guess what, UPS broke one of them during shipping. So I called UPS and raised HE!!...so they sent a guy to my house and inspected them, and about 2 weeks later a check came in the mail for $212. And they didn't take them, so I just re-fiberglassed the broke one and it really turned out better than new. So I ended up with a good pair of "FREE" rear flares and $62 in my pocket! smile.gif You can't beat that deal, huh? But that's why my rear flares don't have the "air duct holes" in them...because I fiberglassed over them to fix the broken place and to make them stronger, but I really didn't want the air ducts in them anyway. Just remember though, that if you use the JCR front fenders, then you need to use the rear ones from JCR also...because I don't think "other" kinds of rear flares will look right with the JCR fronts. But I tell you what would be a perfect match and the setup that I WISH that I had gone with...and that would be, to use the rear flares from JCR and the front fiberglass fenders and front spoiler from the "Subtle Z" kit that is made by "reaction research". Those front fenders and rear flares match perfectly...The JCR rear flares let's you run 10" wheels and 295/50 tires and just like the JCR front fenders, the front fenders from the "Subtle Z" kit will also let you run an 8" wheel and 265/50 tire, but the best thing is that they use the stock round headlights and buckets. Another thing that I like about the "Subtle Z" front fenders is that the front spoiler made for that kit fits perfectly and looks alot better than the JCR front spoiler. The JCR front spoiler is actually a ZX spoiler that has been widened 3" and it looks like crap unless you are using the BIG Z crash bumpers...and on my Zcars, I've always been a non-bumper kinda guy. But anyway, here's the address to the JCR and "Subtle Z" web sites so you can look at them, compare, and get an idea of what I'm rambling on about. smile.gif

http://www.jimcookracing.com/catalog/page21.html

http://www.reactionresearch.com/subtlez.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by JuJu (edited March 23, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Myron,

One more thing that I forgot to tell you is that the "reaction research" company that sells the "Subtle Z" kit, also sells a BUNCH of other body kits that look great! I started to buy the "280YZ" kit from them!...it looks KILLER! And, although I haven't bought any glass from them, I'm positive that they are all top quality. I've heard and read really good stuff about thier kits. Here's the address to thier main page with all the other kits on it...

http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

The Arizona Z company is good too, but you have to order $1000 worth of glass before they will ship to you, but he told me that my change soon because he might sell his molds to someone else. Hope this helps ya...

One more thought. I was looking at Jim Biondo's page (that guy with the custom front end, been in chevy hi-po and turbo & hi-po mag lately) and on that page he says he'll make them for other people. Its something that looks good, is better aerodynamically and hasn't been done to death! Thought I'd add this to the discussion.

Drax240z

Guest RON JONES

That front end is great,I would love to have one on my car.I beleave its very expensive,I think Its around $2500 to have one made.I,m sure its alot of work and I understand why it costs what it does.If money was no object for me,I,d have one.If I,m wrong on that price,someone please correct me.Am I right?

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited March 25, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Ron..you are correct on the price. I spoke with Jim about 3 weeks ago and was asking about the frontend that he has. He told me the same price, and this is not a direct bolt on unit...it still is going to take some fab on your end.

Darth Vader

That's pretty steep, but I take it that its identical to his c/w carbon fibre? Pretty light front end... Hell you'd probably save more than enough weight to offset a V8 swap. I shudder to think how much shipping something like that would be though...

Would be almost a shame for other Z's to steal such an origional concept, but I certainly understand his desire to offset the costs of building his car somewhat!

Drax240z