HybridZ

Started "The" Project

Yesterday, Rob and I started on my V8 project. We pulled the entire rear end out of the car - WOW - I never did that before. I have all the pieces to begin the process of up dating everything back there. At this point, I don't know if I should use coil overs or lowering springs. For the moment, lets forget $$. Any feedback from members would be appreciated. What spring rates are folks using? And does this really help in getting larger rims and tires under there?

Thanks

P.S. Thanks Rob for the help. It sure helps having extra hands and BACK with this part of the car!

What do you plan to do with the car? Coil overs are nice, but not necessary unless you are looking at wheel fitment and setting up the car for different tracks. I'll convert mine shortly to coil overs, but mainly for getting the car lower for top end runs like the Nevada SS Challenge and the Blue Blockers and Gamblers runs. Aerodynamics is critical at high speeds and getting the car lower to the ground with out bottoming out is important. However, if you are planning to drive it on the street, get a good set of progresseive rate springs. They will serve you better than the straight rate springs sold in most kits.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Danno: Welcome to the peaceful, relaxing world of Z conversions, where everything goes as it should. HAHAHA! What else would you rather do on a snowy weekend? I can't wait to get some coil overs under my car. The benefit as I see it is more room for larger tires (Your traction is really going to be limited!) adjustable ride height, and spring rates. The bigger the rim and shorter the sidewall the less deflection in corners, and the harsher the ride. Straightline accel. will be compromised, too. Rob seems to have his Z dialed in really well for his autocrossing (of course some good driving is at work here too). Ask yourself how far do you want to push the corners? When I pulled my engine and put in the 4.3 I raised the front 1.5 inches (my engine is 18" from the radiator) After using lowering springs (Motorsport) I had to re-level the car by using shorter front tires. Coilovers would have solved that problem. I don't give a hoot about ride quality so I'm going to go pretty stiff. Dave at Ariz zcar says that if you overdo this you'll fly off any corner with bumps, that isn't race track smooth. You need some give to keep the tires in contact. I'm going to quiz the other members when the time comes as to what spring rates seem to be working. Since you are going with the Limited slip, are you going to run a rear swaybar?

I'm going to pull my trans. pretty soon. Let's try to meet somtime before then, otherwise its probably going to be awhile before my 5 speed is complete.

John

Nevada Silver state challenge.

It is another of the many high speed timed events. I ran it a few years back in a rental car.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk