HybridZ

Brakes 101....

Brake systems are important, no? yes, yes they are. And we gear heads tend to overlook them while buiding our hotrods. I have been asked a bunch of questions over the past year or so about disc conversions, pads, fluid, rotor and caliper size.... yadayadayada...

One big thing over-looked in a brake system is the fluid. Fluid gets contaminated over time and therefore should be swapped out every two years, per most manufacturers recommendations. However, if your car is going to do some serious canyon carving, you should think about swapping it before or after a day of hard driving. When going to an instructional day at the race course, doing hot laps, you should also plan to flush the fluid before or after the session is over.

As a rotor heats up, it transfers heat to the caliper, which in turn boils the fluid circulating through the caliper. That is one reason brake ducts are so attractive on hi po cars.

Next time you plan a brake upgrade, make sure you replace the fluid with a hipo replacement as well. The higher the dry and wet boiling point, the better the fluid will work, the more stable it will be and the better your car will perform!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

FYI--I ripped this off another msg board (after making some edits):

Boiling Pt.

DOT Wet Dry

Castrol SRF 4 518 590

Motul 600 5.1 421 585

Castrol LMA 4 311 446

AP-600 3 284 572

AP-550 3 284 550

Wilwood 570 3 284 570

PF-Z-Rated 3 284 550

Ford HD 3 284 550

I can confirm the Motul 600 and AP600 wet boiling points as I have some in my garage. I think the dry boil point on the AP600 is low, though.