HybridZ

new welder, better than sex.

5foot2

I picked up a Lincoln pt185 Friday. Wow, clean spatter free welds are soooooo sexy. I've only run it dc- on mild steel so far, but the machine was bought with 1/8" aluminum in mind. I'm fab'n a cart for it, my mig and a pair of bottles this weekend. New tools rock.

I hear ya'. I have the PT275 and it's a dream. I've done brackets on a couple of aluminum radiators, but I still need more practice. That AC is a whole different animal... Like yours, it sticks steel together unbelievably! I really like the PT185 that you got. Before I found mine on clearance that was the way I had decided to go features/$.

Did you get that 275 from Sears? About a year ago on this or another forum someone posted a super, super deal on the 275. It was a close out deal through Sears. I waited half a day to run the purchase past the wife before I spent the $$, and missed out. The extra heat of the 275 would be nice once in a while, but I think I'll be happy with the 185. Between my Lincoln sp175+ mig and thie pt185 tig, I feel I have all my bases covered.

I hear ya'. I have the PT275 and it's a dream. I've done brackets on a couple of aluminum radiators, but I still need more practice. That AC is a whole different animal... Like yours, it sticks steel together unbelievably! I really like the PT185 that you got. Before I found mine on clearance that was the way I had decided to go features/$.

Yeah, Mine came from the Sears closeout. I was the one that posted the sale on the board. When I found it, I tried to buy it right then, and our internet connection crashed! I was freakin' out! I jacked around with it for about an hour before I got the order in. Once I received shipping confirmation on mine, I posted the clearance here to share the wealth! Sorry you missed out. I had budgeted $2000 tops, and the $3500 average delivered cost was more than I could stomach, (Sears was $3999 + tax + shipping. No wonder they couldn't move them....) On clearance for $1599, mine was delivered to my door for $2049.

Congratulations on the new welder! I understand where you are coming from. I got my Dynasty 200DX last March and it has been great. I then got a MM210 last fall and went through the whole thing again. What a great feeling having a welder that works exceptionally well. I like the PT185 as well, and seriously considered it, but like all the transformer machines, they take too much power for me.

Joshua

LINCOLN 185 IS DEAD SEXAY~!

I welded some 1/8 aluminum the other weekend, the trick is keep the amperage in check, and go for as much penetration as you can stand rather than letting it choose for you, I didn't quite understand why it was choosing to set the cleaning so high. Try it yoursef if you must, I'm glad it's manually adjustable though.

Then I forgot to turn it back to DC- for a steel wire rack and it worked so well I didn't notice till I was through 3 tack welds. I also could not tell the difference in weldability between pure tungsten and 2% thoriated.

Wait till you get tired and forget to sand off the scale and paint, it'll weld right through it, although I know it's not good practice. I did some penetration and strength checks and it was perfect. It tends to bring contaminants to the surface. Definately the right tool for the job. I recommend the thump amptrol, that way you can weld on your back under your car without any trouble at all.

Also, I go full Argon for everything and had no issues. Stainless was actually easier to weld than mild steel and welding high strength steel was a breeze too, although you no doubt lose all your strength at the weld so joint design is very important unless you re-heat treat properly.

Congrats! I wouldn't give mine up for anything!!!