HybridZ

breaking rear ends

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

new to the internet, wife had to get me registered. Hope you guys can help me.

I have been breaking u joints and have destroyed one r200.

Will cv axles help and if so how fast / quick can you run a qtr before they break.

Do not wish to go to a non irs rear end

Guest Anonymous

I have been using a differential from the infinity Q45 with the Q45 half shafts (shortened and modified). Differential is much larger than R200 and cv joints are very stout. This diferential is pretty much the same as the 1990+ 300ZX differential. The cv joints are the same as the ones on the turbo car. If you are interested in the particulars of this setup E-mail me, I'll be glad to share any info I have. Mark

Guest Anonymous

I've had the EXACT same problem!!! I've destroyed several u-joints, broken a half shaft in half, and am on my third R200 (the last one lasted 12 passes). Many have tried different ways of solving this problem, most with success. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to try, but I like the idea of using a corvette center section??? I've never heard of anyone else using Mark's set up but if it works, he's doing better than you and I!!!

BTW, how fast are you going in the quarter that you're having these problems???

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bubafett:

new to the internet, wife had to get me registered. Hope you guys can help me.

I have been breaking u joints and have destroyed one r200.

Will cv axles help and if so how fast / quick can you run a qtr before they break.

Do not wish to go to a non irs rear end

jonny car runs 12.08, 111.8 mph, 1.74 60ft

8 inch slick 26in tall 3.90:1.00 gear

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Darth Vader:

these cars that are breaking the rearends..are they standard trans or automatic.

Darth Vader

My car has a turbo 350 trans with a 2800-3000 rpm converter,

Bubba Fett

Guest Locutus

Hey if any body whips out a light saber or something I am out of here smile.gif LOL. jk its nice to see a bunch of science fiction fans here. As yall can see I am a Star Trek fan as well.

Just a thought with all the new nicks floating around, in this topic especially smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

do the u-joints you are breaking have grease fitting ports?, If so this is a weak link. Try using Datsun factory u-joint with no grease port, not sure what year that would be , but I have heard of this being a better/stronger coupling.

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by takman57:

do the u-joints you are breaking have grease fitting ports?, If so this is a weak link. Try using Datsun factory u-joint with no grease port, not sure what year that would be , but I have heard of this being a better/stronger coupling.

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to find some solid joint because that is exactly where they are breaking. Im currently using spicer 4X4 units but they have the grease fittings. Does anyone know about where to fint solid units.

Bubba Fett

Guest Anonymous

I've used both styles of u-joints- with and without the grease fitting and have grended both of them!!! I've even taken them to a driveshaft shop to have them installed (just in case I wasn't doing them right???) and they still broke! I'm thinking that is has a lot more to do with the combination of the relatively smaller u-joint and the angles that they are subject to upon launching the car. BTW if you want to try the solid style u-joints, many of your local parts stores have them, just ask for the "Heavy Duty" ones, they're not that expensive and I think I got a warranty with mine!!!

Guest Anonymous

Jonny, Are you still breaking the joints? How fast was your car running with the solid units? Does anyone know how fast the car will run in a quarter before it will break them? My car keeps breaking the greasable ones and runs low 12s. What can I expect from the IRS. I may just switch to a solid axle. I wish to add Nitrous to the car and shoot for the 10s.

Bubba Fett

------------------

He sent me to get the Jedi

Ironically, there is a '86 300ZXT here in Orlando that runs 10.0 @ 140 (est 700hp) with the stock suspension and 3.70 LSD. The car weighs in at 3200lbs and uses 11.5" ET Streets. He does experience breakage if he does not slip the clutch off the line, but what he breaks are the stub axles.

Then there is Derek Grubb, a 10-sec GNZ from PA running halfshafts w/solid joints with his LSD and cutting 1.48 60' with 6" motorcycle tires (how does he do that??).

My point is that there are some extreme horsepower cars using the stock setup and having success. Its a mystery why some folks experience that breakage. Sadly there are probably too many 20+ yr old R200s that still have the original fluid from the factory.

Scottie

Guest Anonymous

Bubba, Yes I am still breaking joints and spider gears. I got the car to go 11.6's in the quarter @ 116 mph

Scottie,

It makes sense that your friend in Orlando would not have these breakage problems since he (or she) is running a manual transmission and slipping the clutch. I'd also like to speak with you friend Derek (can you forward his e-mail address???), I'm curious as to the exact setup he is using. I can't see how he's getting sub 1.50 60ft times without breaking anything? I'd really appreciate it if you could hook me up with him. Also, I agree with you, that people are not performing the simple task of changing the fluid in these rear ends. That is one of the first things I did when changing out mine, unfortunately the spider gears still went to **** . And finally, where exactly are you guys racing in Orlando? I'm in Tampa and would very much like to come see your friends ZX run sometime. Let me know.

Johnnydinx, we race at Orlando SpeedWorld on SR50 East. Wednesdays and Fridays is test and tune, $10 and run all night. There is an import meet at the track tomorrow and some very quick cars should be there. I will be there but not racing. Hope you can make it despite the short notice.

I dont have an email for Derek and he does not have a page but one of the turboZ guys put some pics and info about his car here: http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/otherzs/Derek/derekGN.html. Put a post on Zcar.com, he might see it. The other 10-sec GNZ is owned by Keith Olsen, turbozv6@aol.com.

Scottie

was running low 11's last year many times

then the breakage god struck

broke many ujoint's twisted halfshafts

and sheard axel bolts

all while running slick's

and 3600 stall

we gave up......

we are now putting full tube chassis

and 9" rear

can anyone say MONEY PIT.....

STAN