HybridZ

Finally a Car build thread for me :P

tfreer85

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you have used a painless kit you will appreciate the quality over the ez wiring. My main problem with the kit it the type of wire used. I went over my issues in my vq thread if you want to read into it more.

My problems with ez wiring:

- All wires are the same OD but are different gauges inside, makes for a bulky harness.. I couldnt stand this.

- Several key circuits were missing that I had to add. Reverse lights, dash lights, fuel pump (which says its included in the directions)

- I was also very annoyed at the preschooler written instructions and the lack of a schematic...as in there isn't a schematic for the harness period. I even called their lousy tech support to ask for one so I could double check everything. Some wires the only thing to tell you what they do is whats written on the wire itself such as "hazard" and "fan fan"

- And all the ignition/combo switch wires were tooo short, talk about annoying!!!!!!!!!! I don't buy a new harness to splice wires in to it.

Granted there isnt anything "wrong with it", and its straight forward to install for the most part I mean it is a generic harness and it is 180 bucks... I don't like either harness that much but I prefer painless. I think that every harness should have a main connector and all main current draws (headlights mainly, but also running lights, and all main power circuits) should be on relays. I would like to design a fuse box with a relay board and harness connectors built into it...but its just another hting to add to the list.

Several things I have learned/learning:

- buy new connectors so you dont have to reuse the factory ones ( I still havent done this but ill get around to it someday)

- install connectors for each harness (most importantly the dash harness.

• 2 months later...

Austin thanks for you input on the Harness, I'll be sure that the shop guy uses all new connectors rather than the factory ones and that he knows to allot more wiring to the ignition switch.

Just a small update: Have HP Tuners being shipped to control everything, need to convert the setup to speed density. http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite.php

Big thing to figure out right now is seats. Can't decide between these:

Corbeau Clubman

racing-seats_2036_3777120

Corbeau Classics II

racing-seats_2036_4187156

Corbeau Classic I's

racing-seats_2036_4559252

Sparco Steel

racing-seats_2036_415864

Need to get measurments and seats will be on their way by the end of the week. Input is welcome

The Corbeau Clubman is a real tight seat ( I am 6ft. /210 lbs.). I went with the Forza II and have a little bit more wiggle room. Also, I had to modify my seat brackets to lower the seat just a bit. I may have to revisit my seat brackets/rails because I plan on putting the LS1 ECM under the passenger seat.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So its soon to be official. The LS1 will be coming out shortly and replaced with another motor. I'm keeping it secret as to what motor, but I will give some hints.

1) It's lighter than the LS1

2) It makes less HP than the LS1

3) It makes more HP than an L28

4) It's all aluminum

5) It's a super rare model engine of a very popular engine model

6) It's still N/A

Can you guess it?

There are a couple of reason's I've opted to do this. I was WAY overbuilding, the car was becoming dangerously fast in comparison to driver capability. Going more lightweight, better MPG, and as the old adage goes "Its better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." In trade for my LS1 I'm getting a running car in return and my budget can't afford to get the LS1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didnt read everything in this thread but after all that... you're putting it up for sale!?

Yeup, ran out of money and time. There is a lot of me that wants to keep it, but its only a car and I'm only 26, so it won't be the last even though it was my first.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So good news is I am going to be able to keep the 240z. Finally, have the car in my own garage. Starting on paint and body work as we speak. Need to work out some small problems like seats, harness, fuel gauge read errors, and small aesthetic things. Never fully mentioned it, but the motor is an Autech SR20DE w/6 speed. Car gets up and goes, it will provide quite a long time of enjoyment before / if needing an upgraded motor. Thanks everyone who has been following my build, actual progress of this will resume.