HybridZ

Are rear sway bars needed?

I got to visit with another Z8 member, Rob, today. Nice clean car, Rob.It was cool to see another project, share some of the headaches, and get some needed info. One of the discussions was whether or not rear sway bars are necessary. It seems from what I've read that if you have the LSD, then go w/rear sway. If not then leave them off.

For those of you who have run w,w/o, tell me your impressions. Oversteer, under, etc. Thanks!

John Scott

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 20, 2000).]

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any good rear bar options for me? The car is a early 73 240Z that did not come with the frame mounted sway bar mounts, but I couldn't use those anyway even if I had them because of my exhaust. I also have 280ZX Turbo CV halfshafts, and I hear they cause interference with the excellent Suspension Techniques bar. I hope this isn't going to be another custom thing. I have a SBC with Iron heads but everything else is light weight, and it's in the JTR setback position.

FYI, I have a 1-1/8" and a 7/8" front bar to chose from, and a 3.7 LSD diff. I was thinking about using the 7/8" bar without a rear bar, or try to find a rear bar (3/4"?) to go with the 1-1/8" front.

For wheels and tires, I have (Front) 17x8.5s with 235/45-17s and (Rear)17x9s with 255/45-17 Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 tires.

I have coilovers and presently set up to use 225 lb/in front and 300 lb/in rear. I am thinking about shortening the stock isolator in the rear to use a 9 inch spring so that I can lower the rear rate to something like 225 or 250. I'm also probably going to go with progressive springs instead, but I'm not sure that they will work in the short length I need.

Thanks for any leads,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

I'm running 3.7 LSD, 1 inch up front and a 3/4 in the rear (Thought it was 7/8th, but now I'm thinking it is 3/4). I have experienced no adverse driving characteristics at all. As a matter of fact, on Friday I hit a 90 degree turn into a side street at well over 40, not hitting the brakes and not crossing the line into the other lane. No monkey motion out of the front or the rear. There was evidence of the tires working overtime, as later I came around the same intersection in my truck and saw the marks left in the pavement from the tires...all four of them. My car tracks very well. If I ever get the bugs shaken out of it, I'll throw Chris C in the passenger seat and let him give you a description of how it tracks, brakes, and corners!!!!!!!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Here I go with my "in general" again but you can use the sway (anti-roll) bars to fine tune the handling of the car. In general, if you put a larger bar on the front it tends to increase under steer (push in NASCAR terms). This means the car will want to go straight as you turn in for a corner.

A larger bar in the rear will have the opposite effect and stiffen the rear adding to the over steer of the vehicle. As you travel through a corner the rear end will want to come around.

Normally it will not have any effect on the normal ride qualities of the car.

BTW Sterling Moss once provided a great description for under steer and over steer. Under steer is where you go around a corner to fast and go off the track and through the fence. Over steer is where you go around the same corner (still to fast) and proceed through the same hole in the fence.....backward!

Have a good one.

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

The wife wants a ride too. I have convinced her that a V8 Z is just a fun docile little car that has louder mufflers than your normal grocery getter and that I will just drive mine at no more than 10 mph over any posted speed limit wink.gif...

When I was down in Richmond today I told her that I was taking my dad's 300ZX out for a quick spin...she promptly repied "you have two small children, so keep it under 75!"

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by John Scott:

I got to visit with another Z8 member, Rob, today. Nice clean car, Rob.It was cool to see another project, share some of the headaches, and get some needed info. One of the discussions was whether or not rear sway bars are necessary. It seems from what I've read that if you have the LSD, then go w/rear sway. If not then leave them off.

For those of you who have run w,w/o, tell me your impressions. Oversteer, under, etc. Thanks!

John Scott

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 20, 2000).]

John,

I've been running w/out rear bar for a while now. I do have 2 degrees neg. camber to help with turn in,been happy with handling. My spring rates are 250/275 F/R. That may help with turnin as well. What has me confused somewhat is that ITS 240 drivers I've spoke with just about all run larger rates in the front,but they do run the rear bars in most cases. My front bar is a 7/8 diameter.

David