HybridZ

newbie rollbar question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If a (good) 4 point rollbar mounts to the four strut towers (having trouble envisioning this) then where else does a 6 point mount to?

Assuming it's some arbitrary point in the body, here's a rust deterrent question as well: When you make new holes to bolt things onto the body, how do you treat the holes to keep rust from appearing on the new bare edges? Just hand paint em?

A four point bar mounts two feet per side behind the driver on the rear wheel wells. This provides nothing more than a "Hoop" over the head. Now, a 6 point bar moves two more points forward ofthe driver, sometimes in a "Overhead" hoop, and sometimes just in a low "Side running" footer that extend forward with no front hoop. These lower side running footers are more for drag applications.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I have an SCCA-approved 4-pt bolt-in rollbar like Mike described. The hoop is bolted to the wheelwells and 2 bars extend toward the rear and are bolted in just in front of the spare tire well.

I asked the local track what I needed to do to be approved to run high-10s and this is what I was told. I need a 6-pt cage and the 4 bolt-in points have to be welded in with larger plates and I have to add the sidebars as Mike described. The height of the sidebars must be between the shoulder and elbow and welded in at a point slightly forward of the door. I intend to put a swing-out on the driver's side for ease of entry/egress.

I expect such a configuration to add stiffness but the torque in our engines still need frame rail upgrades.

Scottie

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://members.xoom.com/Turbo240Z/scotties240zt.htm

Guest Anonymous

Scottie, when you say frame rail upgrades, do you mean bolt ons, complete weld in replacements, or weld in additions? knowwhutimean?

Most of us have upgraded to weld in units, cutting out the existing stamped weld units that came in the car. Go to Pete's webpage in the links category to see a good example of a well done subframe install!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Pete Paraska (Moderator at large) has a web page in the Links department that shows very good example of how to do subframes.

Mike

------------------

mjk