HybridZ

Chassis/Frame Stiffening

I'm certain this has been covered before, but I can't find the thread so here goes. I'm building a VR, which calls for the roof to be cut off. The car will be street only, 327 small journal, maybe 375hp. I know it will be fast, but I really want it to handle. The 73' Z I have has brand new heavy floor pans, and new frame rails proffessionally installed. I have welded in frame reinforcements(1x4) from the rear to front in the car, tied to rear strut towers. The re strut towers are braced to each other and then braced to the frame rails(like a triangle in each corner. I have braces welded from the rear towers back to the rear deck. In front a strut tower brace will be bolted in ala JTR, and I have welded braces forward and rear from the towers to the frame rails under hood area. Do the frame rails under the hood need to be tied to the frame in the cockpit? If so, what's the best way? I have printed pparaska's pics, but can't tell how the frames come together. The floor pans do not have the seat frame in. Do I need to reinforce perpendicular to the frame rail? Any other suggestions?

[This message has been edited by DennisK (edited May 03, 2000).]

Let me try to clarify how I tied this together. If you look at the pic below:

LeftEngFrameRail3s.jpg

you see that I had two tubes comeing together behind the T/C bracket and ahead of the firewall. In the following pic:

LeftEngFrameRail4s.jpg

notice that they are not tied together. I used som 3/16" plate to make gussets that tied the tubes together vertically. It's all painted in the picture, so look hard. I plut and edge welded a plate to either vertical side of the engine rails and floor rails, as well as the new thicker piece of firewall/floor where the floor tube (subframe connector) came through. This is a very stiff connection.

It sounds like you're using the stiffening plans that come with the VR kit. I really like that plan for the unobtrusive side bar.

I bought the plans so I could see what his ideas for the reinforcement alone. Someday I'll get around to applyiing them!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Thanks again Pete! Those pics I had printed a while ago, but didn't see the vertical plates til your explanation. I am going to add this mod on. Yes the basics are from VR, with some extras.

Pete,

Scissor jack ontop of an ammo can?????

I thought I was the king of Jerry rigging...

To to funny!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Mikelley-It's no longer politically correct to keep ammo in those things, that makes it good recycling! Pete-bought a wire feed mig welder today. I think my cars gonna weigh a little more than planned! Thanks to both you guys, you've helped alot.