HybridZ

TiAL External Gate Install on OEM Manifold *PICS*

240hoke

Hey Guys,

There has been lots of talk going around about external wastegates, welding to the factory cast manifold etc etc. I just finished the process of switching over to a TiAL 38mm external gate. I thought I would share what I did. I am running a t3/t04b turbo with a 60-1 compressor wheel, and a stg5 .82 a.r exhaust side.

Part used for external gate install:

(1) TiAL 38mm wastegate

(2) TiAL 38mm w/g flanges

(1) Internal w/g block off plate (ATP turbo)

(1) Schedule 40 90deg. Pipe from McMaster-Carr

(1) 1.5" aluminumized J-bend

(1) 3" Doughnut

(1) 3" section of 3" aluminized tubing

(2) O2 bungs

(5) feet of silicon hose

(1) V-band Clamp

You can add the prices up wherever you find them.. my total came to a little over 400 bucks.

I did searching and read about hte proper way to weld cast, the right rod, the preheating to 600, and the slow cooling. But i also searched and talked to people that had had good exprience with welding the stock OEM manifold with mild steel rod and no preheating. I did just that and we will see how long it lasts.

I chose to stick the gate under the turbo so i could get a short pipe right off the maifold in the optimum spot, and it also tucks up nice and compact..

Pictures:

All laid out:

TiAL_wastegate_002_Medium.sized.jpg

I cut the hole out with a 2" hole saw, worked great, whent marking the hole i put some grease around the pipe and help it where i wanted, leaving a ring to use as a reference.

TiAL_wastegate_004_Medium.sized.jpg

TiAL_wastegate_005_Medium.sized.jpg

TiAL_wastegate_006_Medium.sized.jpg

This is the flange from ATP turbo it was 28 bucks. Bolt holes are VERY close to hole, and the pattern wasnt exactly right, I had to drill out the holes one size to fit over the studs. Overall though nice for the price.

TiAL_wastegate_007_Medium.sized.jpg

Doughnut used for DP bends, I had this left over from another project.. Perfect madrel 3" bend, much higher quality then typical dynomax bends from JEG's, which I have had bad exprience with especially the tight radius ones!

TiAL_wastegate_008_Medium.sized.jpg

Mocked up!

TiAL_wastegate_009_Medium.sized.jpg

View from the bottom of the bottom of the car.. mocked up and ready for welding...

TiAL_wastegate_017_Medium.sized.jpg

TiAL_wastegate_018_Medium.sized.jpg

Welded w/g pipe. Turned the mig up for good penetration throughthe thick metals.. hope it doesnt crack...

TiAL_wastegate_025_Medium.sized.jpg

Heat wrapped and ready to go...

TiAL_wastegate_029_Medium.sized.jpg

My first DP, I welded the 02 bungs too close to the turbo outlet. Ill be tuning with wideband so the sensor needs to be placed about 10" away (around 900 degrees). So ill be redoing... but you get the idea.

TiAL_wastegate_034_Medium.sized.jpg

All bolted up! Im gonna wrap the pipe up too but didnt have the material at the time.

TiAL_wastegate_038_Medium.sized.jpg

Almost back together!

TiAL_wastegate_042_Medium.sized.jpg

This weekend I will be redoing the downpipe, and testing it all out. Also will be getting first impressions on the Competition Clutch Stage 4 6 puck... will give a little write up about it....

Anyway, lemme know what yall think!

• Administrators

WOW!!! I absolutely love the visual affect your intake and exhaust system leaves. We always see the polished and chrome parts from everyone else. You know, the “been done before”, syndrome. I personally prefer the more “industrial purposeful racers” look approach to power plant aesthetics, and I truly feel that you hit that mark. From a visual stand point, the wrinkle/satin black, satin aluminum, and gray exhaust wrap combination you have going on is in just the right balance.

Gorgeous.

holy crap! That is exactly what i need done! I took my manifold to a shop and they said that they didnt want to do exactly what you did!!!!!! I was wondering if you could help me? This is the only part of my build that is holding me back now. Everything is pretty much done as far as my zx to zxt swap goes. I also have the 38mm tial wastegate with a t3/t04e

Thanks for the comments guys, took the car out today. Open wastegate is incredible. Ive never heard one before! Wow it screams!

Heres a pic of my new downipe, lengthened the space to the bend off the turbo so access was better to the nuts and moved the o2 sensors down a bit:

3_inch_downpipe_008_Medium.sized.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys' date=' took the car out today. Open wastegate is incredible. Ive never heard one before! Wow it screams!

Heres a pic of my new downipe, lengthen the space ot the bend off the turbo so acess was bettre to the bolts and moved the o2 sensors down a bit:

[img']http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/albums/album653/3_inch_downpipe_008_Medium.sized.jpg[/img]

Sweet mother of god Austin!