HybridZ

I am going to build a convertible Z, any ideas??

Guest mattrp

Guest mattrp

I have been thinking about this for a very long time, and have come up with some ideas. I intend to do a full 10 or 12 point roll cage first. Then I intend to cut the top off, just behind the windshield, and right in front od the trunk hinges. It will end up sorta like a corvette convertible, a big ttop. The only thing Im unsure of is how to seal the two pieces together once I have cut them apart (I want to use the top as a hard top). I was thinking of wrapping sheet aluminum around the edges, and then making some sort of custom seel using silicon or something. I aint gonna drive it much with the top on, but I need the option.

Any ideas.

Matt

72 500Z

Great idea! Just for your own personal knowledge, what you are planning is called a "targa" top. Lots of porches, ferraris, some MarkII supra's etc had them.

Can't really halp you much with anythign else, except to say check with sunroof places. You might find someone that has done that to another car before if you are lucky.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

The Velo Rossa kit calls for a full convertible by cutting off the roof completely, and thru the B pillars. Using some of their tecniques, and some mods you could come up with something real nice. The window frames would be cut as per VR, and then modified to work and seal out the weather. Welding ledges to the front header and rear area in front of the hinges to recieve rubber molding, and molding on the sides of the roof itself for the windows, should make for a good fit and seal. Edgeing for the roof similar to Vette's should work. If you are interested in the VR portion, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.