HybridZ

James Hamm's Porsche 911 V8 conversion (lotsa pics!)

olie05

It is like a freak show on wheels. First it seems that the 911 / 930 body just does something for a lot of folks. The gurgle of the motor (400hp) confuses the hell out of them. Once I pop the hood/trunk it just goes on and on from there. It is really a beast and the best part is that with the motor over the back wheels, steering is just as light as a stock 911/930. I had to add the radiator system up front but I also had to reduce the capacity of the fuel tank to 17 gal so the weight is just about the same.

James...

• Like 1

Guest el240z

Wow nice setup with the porsche. Is that the Renegade Hybrid Kit. My brother used the same kit on his 1975 911 porsche. We had his body converted to a 1998 wide body though. Here's a pic of his porsche pretty much done sitting next to my Z which isn't close to being done.

240z10.jpg

My brother used the same kit on his 1975 911 porsche. We had his body converted to a 1998 wide body though.

just out of curiosity... how was that done? some sort of body kit? or was it more intesive than a few fiberglass panels?

Guest el240z
just out of curiosity... how was that done? some sort of body kit? or was it more intesive than a few fiberglass panels?

The work involved in converting it to a 98 was very intensive. The exterior was completely transformed with great detail, the interior was also done to look like a 1998 interior for the most part, except for the carpet. Even the windshield wipers were brought closer together, unlike on the 75 where they are further apart. We did a little extra by also shaving the drip rails off for a cleaner look. There was a porsche specalist living one town over, and he was well known for doing these type of conversions. I wasn't around for much of the work but it did take him around 6 months to finish, but he also had other projects going on at the same time. We are planning on putting a more stout 350 or maybe 383 engine later down the line after I complete the LS1 install in my Z first, but the old and abused 350 we are currently using right now is plenty of power for this car. Just the other day we raced a Camaro with a LS1 and was easily able to take him. I can't wait for my Z to finish up so we can cruise together.

EL240Z: The body kit on your brother's car looks like the one from Better Bodies Motorsports. Its a good kit and seems to be very well done. It is also possible to put an LS1 in the 911 so that is another option for you. If you want to go that route, I can hook you / your brother up with someone who just completed that project who can guide you with the wiring install. The rest is about the same as the 350 that is in there now. The only parts I used from Renegade are the remote fill unit and the T-stat housing. Everything else was fabricated with the exception of the bellhousing adapter which I bought from Kennedy. I saved about $4000 by doing it myself and not buying their kit.

Olie, it is a Meziere big block electric pump. I am running a thermostat but I drilled two holes in the housing to relieve pressure and allow some flow even when the T-stat is closed. Works great. I have it on a timer so it stays on for 90 seconds after I shut off the car so I'll never cook the block. The radiator set up is the best part of the entire conversion. I'm starting the heat and A/C install this week. I picked up a Gen II Compac from Vintage Air so I will have good control of the interior temps and have defrost.

Guest el240z

Hi James, I’m not sure on which kit was installed on my brothers car, all I know is that it looks just like a twin turbo S wide-body. All the panels on my brothers Porsche were molded in, and is very sturdy, You can grab the rear flare by hand and lift the car with no problems. We ended up buying the whole kit from Renegade Hybrid, and was pretty impressed by it. I think their headers are overpriced and look like standard block huggers, but everything else was very good quality. In the end if we could have done it again we would have gone more your route and gone custom and saved some money, but you live and learn. I know that ToyJet has installed a LS1 in his 911 with a supercharger and was planning on selling a kit, is that who you are talking about.

My Z on the other hand is a 1972 240z with IMSA front and rear Flares with a G-nose up front with a custom air dam(not installed yet). The rear tail-lights have also been converted to 280z lights and the car sits on BBS 15X10†with 285 wide tires up front and 15X13 345s in the back, I bought her like that. She barely has any rust and is still a L6 with Triple sidedraft Webbers for now. The body is straight and it seems the flares were installed very well. Eventually I want to put a LS1 or maybe a LS2 with a KB blower eventually down line with upgraded suspension and drive-train to match. I hope I’m not hijacking this thread, and if I am then I apologies.

Here are some more pics.:-D240z9.jpg

240z12.jpg

These pictures are a year old and a lot has changed on the Z. I have taken that ugly rear bumper off and have removed all the paint on the car, and have been working on the body ever since. Body work takes so long and I have like no time to ever work on her or my brothers ride. I hope you like the pics and James you have a awsome porsche their. I bet she flies. We have about 300bhp in my brothers porsche and that thing is a beast so I can only imagine what 400hp would do in one of these light cars.:coollook:

Honestly, I prefer your car to your brothers. It is beautiful but I always loved the Z's with huge flares. I was very close to getting a set from John Washington at VR Eng. for my 72. I like the 993 look on his car but they are too refined for me. I love the brutishness of the early turbos like mine. Toyjet is the guy I was talking about. his kit is well put together but his price is high for retail. He will sell to me at cost. Dont' worry about hijacking the thread. I'm on a Z board posting pics of my 911. That's hijacking at its finest.

James....

Bart,

That is his second attempt at a radiator system that goes into the wing. The first was the most hideous piece I have ever seen. The performance was great but it just was flat out ugly. This one is a lot more attractive but still not what I want on my car. His system does leave the car intact and no cutting or welding is requried which is a major plus. I did have to cut some of the sheetmetal in front but I also reenforced everything so it is stronger now than it was stock. I have a C&R setup that is to flat out kill for. That radiator system with the Meziere pump is bad ***. BTW, your swap is very clean. I want to get my engine bay looking about the same as yours.

James....

Bart' date='

That is his second attempt at a radiator system that goes into the wing. The first was the most hideous piece I have ever seen. The performance was great but it just was flat out ugly. This one is a lot more attractive but still not what I want on my car. His system does leave the car intact and no cutting or welding is requried which is a major plus. I did have to cut some of the sheetmetal in front but I also reenforced everything so it is stronger now than it was stock. I have a C&R setup that is to flat out kill for. That radiator system with the Meziere pump is bad ***. BTW, your swap is very clean. I want to get my engine bay looking about the same as yours.

James....[/quote']Yes, that first attempt was pretty hideous. I'm still not completely sold on it, but it does sound like a good idea. Your setup may be better...it looks clean and you have the weight on the front instead of having the weight above the engine on the rear. I like having a V8 in a 911, but I chose the 240Z because they're cheaper. My wife told me my next project needs to be a V8 in a Jaguar for her.

Thanks for the comment about my engine compartment...now I need to get the rest of the car to match.

I know what you mean about the cost of the 911. That one fell out of the sky for $2000 or about the same as a Z in somewhat decent shape. That is the only reason I have it today. I had the entire JTR kit, T56 complete with clutch and engine built up for the 240 I had but I jumped at this opportunity. Honestly, I believe it is much easier to do the Z conversion well than the 911. There are some dificulties getting the guages to work and it is near impossible to get aftermarket guages for the 911 to fit the stock holes. On the Z you can use Autometer / Autoguage with no problem and the wiring is shorter and cleaner. It is much harder to get good A/C into the 911 as well. Everything has to be fabbed in order to work. There have been days when I wished I would have just stuck with the Z and on occasion I still have them. Anytime you say Porsche the cost triples and the transmission is the weakest part of the entire conversion and to make it right cost big big bucks. The gearing isn't really good with a stock transmission and it costs about $3000 to get it perfect. I can't launch hard lilke you can at a drag strip. I would twist the main shaft as I am operating at the limits of it's torque capacity so I have to modulate the go fast pedal and be careful when I'm having fun. Once at speed though, this car handles better than anything I have ever driven and the sound is just bad ***. This weekend I tuned my exhaust up and made it look a lot better than the photos. Lots of cutting and welding but it worked out great. Send me your email address and I'll shoot you a pic tomorrow.

• 11 months later...
Guest Phil Fegley

Can you tell me if you elected to go with the 12V water pump in lieu of an engine driven pump or is it a supplemental unit? Where do I find this type of pump? Also, can you adise what model car the rad is for or is it a custom? I assume that this is not a RSH or Renegade unit? Fuel tank? Modified Porsche unit, custom unit from RSH/Renegade or fuel cell?

I appreciate any input you may be able to provide me. Thank you and happy hunting (for the flat sixes)

Best regards,

Phil

So what does it tip the scales at?

Nice car, love the "Turbo-look" and interesting engine swap. I am a 911 owner but definitely not a Porsche purist but love the flat six....and had you retained the stock 3.2L and turbocharged it you would be at the same hp level with some cool technology under the hood. My flat 6 just dyno'd a very safe 418hp at 1bar of boost.

I am sorry and no offense intended, but carb'd SBChevys do not excite me, even though there is not denying they make great power and the $$ investment is relatively low. Having attended literally hundreds of hot rod shows including making the yearly pilgrimage to Good Guys and Super Chevy, guys spend a fortune on crazy paint, custom wheels, sumptuous interiors and trick suspension but sadly they all run some flavor of a 4barrel SBChevy (or possibly BBChevy)...it gets a bit boring....its amazing that seldom even play or experiment with EFI let alone (turbo) forced induction.

Regards - Yasin