HybridZ

Wheel adapters for 5 lug american wheels

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I believe a Z hub is 4x4.5", or 4x115mm.

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

I really hate when these things show up... I can't recommend those hub adapters to anyone. They put WAY to much stress on the bearings and ball joints. Trust me on this one... Do your homework, find a wheel manufacturer you like... Save your beer money and spend the extra few bucks on the right wheel for your car, or modify the existing hub for a 5 lug. But don't use those adapters... they are dangerous and not worth the risk...

Disclaimer: This is strictly my opinion, but I did a little research a few years ago and spoke with the Moog rep, and a guy who used to do R&D for Nissan back in the 70s and both told me what I'm telling you here.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Actually, if the total offset with the adapters is kept to around stock, the wheel bearings see the same load. In other words, if a large offset wheel is used with a wheel spacer or hub adapter to get the effective offset to around zero on the early Zs, than the wheel bearings see the same apportionment of load.

But that's a moot point. The issue is the adapter and wheel studs in the adapter have a higher bending load. It would take a very good billet adapter with very high quality wheel bolts in it to make it safe. Again, the lug studs on the car would see the same kind of loads as with a proper offset wheel, so that's not a issue.

I've always felt that the adapters are an unwanted point of failure.

A little info from the other side of the fence. A friend of mine uses FWD wheels and spacers, and he has for years. He autocrosses, and drives the car really hard in general... and after quite a while (~3 years I think) he has had no noticeable increase in wear on any components.

Granted, this is not on a V8 zcar... But the theory is still the same.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Frank280z

zdriver.com/article2.htm This might help you out a little in your decision. This article shows a 240 with rims that fit a fwd honda. Adapters were made for the offset difference. There is also an e-mail address of the person who made them. Personally, I would just look for a rim that fit correctly without the use of any spacer/adapter. I think we all know about the limited amount of available rims there are for these Zs. But if you go coilover; I believe your selection will increase drastically.

Frank