HybridZ

To John C about welding Stainless to mild steel

EZ-E

I noticed in your post reply to PParaska about using a filler when welding stainless to mild steel. I was wondering since Pete was talking about 300 series stainless, what would be the type of filler used to weld 400 series stainless to mild steel?

Would it happen to be the same type? This would be for the exhaust.

Thanks

It depends on which 400 series stainless you have. There are two basic type: Ferritic and Martensic.

I'm betting that the stainless you have is Ferritic because that is the most common 400 series used in industry. The most popular types are 405, 409, 430, 442, and 446. All these types contain 11.5 to 30% Cr, up to 20% C, and small amounts of Al, Cb, Ti, and Mo as stabilizers.

When welding Ferritic stainless you need to use a filler that matches or exceeds the amount of Cr that's in the base metal. Ideally that's ER409 or ER430. For what you are doing ER309L is a good alternate.

Don't preheat 400 series before welding and add a lot of the filler to the weld pool.