HybridZ

Engine Delima L28ET or VG30DETT?

RJ280ZX

I have been searching and reading about different engines for my 79 280ZX. I "think" I want to put a VG30DETT with 5spd trans in there. I figured I would post up options and get everyone's opinion. I am looking for relaible 400hp for street/strip use. Mainly street with the occasional weekend strip runs.

This is what I have currently:

83 280ZX Turbo Block, P90 head reworked with valve angle job, Bottom end siezed currently. O-ring Fuel Rail, MItsu 330CC injectors, rising rate FPR, Upgraded Fuel pump, Isuzu NPR intercooler 8x24" (not installed) t3/t04e 60trim turbo(new not installed), External Wastegate, BOV, Stock 5spd trans, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust manifold. Custom Programmable EFI system (Speed Density)

Here are my options:

Build motor with current add-ons, motor build will cost aroud 2k forged pistons, rods etc... Plus I will need trans upgrade.

Or sell all my L28 Stuff and Install a VG30DETT with upgraded turbos, upgraded exhaust, IC and other mods for 400+ HP using stock Z32 trans

Use a different motor/trans but looking for one I can buy parts for in the US easily (napa, oreillys etc...)

Custom fabrication and welding is not a problem, I own a 4x4 shop and can build pretty much anything. I dont mind doing a lot of work if the end result is reliable and functional.

That's a tough call, 400hp is a little much for a daily driven L28et unless it's had extensive work (although I'm sure it's been done) I know that alot of fabrication is needed to make a Vg30et fit in a S30 (not sure about a twin turbo in a S130) I would opt for a RB swap, but you want a engine that has parts readily available.. What about a Buick V6 turbo or even just a nice V8?

• 5 years later...

400hp crank is nothing for an L28. You don't need forged. Get larger injectors though. if you already have the L28 and parts I would do that. If you were looking for 600 hp I would go the VG route.

I have pulled the L28 out, torn it down and am buying parts for it. So far, all I have purchased is the ARP headstuds, main studs and rod bolts. Right now I am trying to decide if I should go the 3.1L route or not. I plan on ordering custom pistons from JE. I still need to source a LD28 Crank. I have a L24 with E88 head I plan to rob the rods and cam from. My goals are still 400 hp, I know I still need injectors to go that route.

Cons of going turbo stroker? Is it worth it? I have been searching on stroker builds and have found very little turbo info. Most builds are always high compression n/a motors.

I have pulled the L28 out, torn it down and am buying parts for it. So far, all I have purchased is the ARP headstuds, main studs and rod bolts. Right now I am trying to decide if I should go the 3.1L route or not. I plan on ordering custom pistons from JE. I still need to source a LD28 Crank. I have a L24 with E88 head I plan to rob the rods and cam from. My goals are still 400 hp, I know I still need injectors to go that route.

Cons of going turbo stroker? Is it worth it? I have been searching on stroker builds and have found very little turbo info. Most builds are always high compression n/a motors.

3.1 Turbo has been done.. makes it a lot easier to get to 400 hp if that's what your looking for. As far as it being worth it.. well.. thats really up to you. It doesn't cost a terrible amount to go stroker, what costs people a lot when they go 3.1, is all the other stuff because they are going a high compression N/A build..

5 years and 11 months must be a record for the pause between posts! Impressive that you can jump right back in to the thread like it was yesterday.

Been playing NAVY a lot, overseas and such, now finally getting time to work on her. :)

I just purchased a crank from a member here. Looking into different rods, I have access to L24 rods, however, I read something about 140mm rods that can also be used. Anyone have info on these? I will still be doing the custom JE pistons, just have to make a decision on rod length.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a turbo block,diesel crank,vg30dett pistons,9mm l24 rods, ported n42 head to build my engine.Why? becuase i got the parts free or got them at the local pick&pull.Its my ghetto stroker.My machinest bushed the rods for the full floating pins on the vg pistons.The nisssan pistons can be set up with less cylinder wall clearence than after market forged pistons.My short block cost about $1000 to build..

• 2 months later...

L28 will cost you substantially less to achieve decent power. The VG swap is entising. I pondered it myself months ago but opted for a much less costly direction with a lot less modification to the car itself. Depends on whether you are fed up with what you had I guess. I'd love a VG30 Z, thats a big motor it would just sound awesome and aren't nearly as common as the L28et swaps however\ its a lot more entailed than the L28 and even though everyone says Its a non issue I really don't like the idea of cutting the front cross member for the oil pan. If you do end up going that route i'd be interested in what you have currently.

Edited by motomanmike