HybridZ

Used a MIG for the first time tonight...

Guest TegRacer324

There was a sale on Speedglas auto helmets a while ago on a website. Don't remeber the site. They were going for $59.95 with a 3 year warenty. This guy I knew bought one and hasn't any problems with it. I'm sure there won't be any sales like that for a long time. It even had a positive air feed into the helmet.

I love oxy acet welding I can do alot with it the only welding I have done very little of is tig! And I wont be doing much of it because I have no access to a to a machine......Iam goona check into those HF helmets and the princess auto ones anyone tried a princess auto one??

I have been in my welding program for close to two years now and me and some of the other students take on some crazy hard "competitions"...try TIG welding two coke cans together at the bottom...that is fun...you have to practice a lot and mess with pulse settings to get it to flow well but not blow holes in the cans...try that and you will know you are a real welder...

if you are welding in the overhead position with MIG or stick DO NOT USE A HF or Northern helmet!!! I am on my second HF helmet and am pleased but I have modified mine with leather protection otherwise you will not do good at all...I'll post some pics of my helmet setup if y'all are interested.

I have used a 9002x speedglas and it is AWESOME!!! you can see different colors in the arc and weld pool which definitely helps with low amperage TIG...Just NEVER touch your tungsten to the base metal...lol. If you do then regrind your tungsten...longitudinally (sp?)

if you are welding in the overhead position with MIG or stick DO NOT USE A HF or Northern helmet!!! I am on my second HF helmet and am pleased but I have modified mine with leather protection otherwise you will not do good at all...I'll post some pics of my helmet setup if y'all are interested.

How about a hot spark in the ear when welding upside down under a car?! Ouch!!!! I started wearing earplugs whenever I'm welding in a strange position. Last week I got a hot chunk in my nose, can't figure out how that happened but damn, it was painful! :eek:

oh yeah...welcome to the TIG club...but whenever you do any kind of structrual welding NEVER do it in the vertical down position...always vertical up. For oxyfuel I don't think it really matters because you aren't welding on anything that is structural...just sheet metal...with vertical up you get better penetration so the base metal is more tied in with the weld...just a few pointers...

When I was in high school my buddy was gas welding a muffler on a car that was on a rack. His hand holding the welding rod got sweaty, and the rod pivoted in his fingers and slipped out of his fingers. It fell straight down red hot end first, thru his coveralls, thru his jeans, thru his tighty-whities, and stuck about 1/2" deep into a very sensitive area about 1" left of Mr. Happy. He pulled the rod out and had a nice cauterized hole... probably still carries that scar to this day. I guess you could consider him lucky, but still, OUCH!