HybridZ

Got my RB25DET, Going in '88 Z31

Racinjitter

Thought I would share some pics of my engine and the car it is going into. Start tearing apart the Z in a few weeks. I am doing this swap myself. I know there is one (confirmed) other Z31 with this setup in it already. However Dramier did not do this swap himself. I will post tons of pics and tutorials for everyone to see as I progress on my project.

Stony do you have any 200ZR parts? Let me know prices too. I am sure I will be needing some of them. Crossmembers are about impossible to find. Oh I am located just outside of Detroit Mi, if anyone wants to know.

http://photobucket.com/albums/i89/racinjitter/

The convertable Z31 is not mine, I seen it on I-94 and had to take a picture.

Thought I would share some pics of my engine and the car it is going into. Start tearing apart the Z in a few weeks. I am doing this swap myself. I know there is one (confirmed) other Z31 with this setup in it already. However Dramier did not do this swap himself. I will post tons of pics and tutorials for everyone to see as I progress on my project.

Stony do you have any 200ZR parts? Let me know prices too. I am sure I will be needing some of them. Crossmembers are about impossible to find. Oh I am located just outside of Detroit Mi' date=' if anyone wants to know.

I believe you can use the factory 200ZR mounts instead of swapping out the xmember. Part numbers for those bad boys can be found in the stickies.

I remember when my motor used to look like yours...

IMG_1705.jpg

But mine looks like this now...

black_valve.jpg

thanks I have been admiring your ride for a while now, I have visited your site, might I say great information. I plan on making a site similar to yours for the Z31 swap.

Is that the ATI dampener? Is that the same part number as the RB26? Also about how much did you pay for the greddy intake manifold?

• 2 weeks later...

Stony do you have any 200ZR parts? Let me know prices too. I am sure I will be needing some of them. Crossmembers are about impossible to find. Oh I am located just outside of Detroit Mi' date=' if anyone wants to know.

Cool. What goals to you have with the car?

Well as of right now, My goals are to have a 500whp road race car, that is still streetable. I have purchased an aftermarket turbo and had a custom exhaust manifold made. I did not want to spend a grand on a HKS manifold, mine so far has cost me $200 and change. I also am planning on a AEM EMS standalone computer due to the tunability. I have found a distributer that sells the EMS for 1600 with UEGO. I wont have everything on the engine this year, but hope to have it running by august. In time for the woodward dream cruise.

Cool. Look into other engine management systems, EMS is good, but there are other ones out there that are cheaper (megasquirt, cough...).

I have pretty much the same power goals with my project. about 550whp. I'd like to get 600whp, but that may require bigger turbalows. Who knows, maybe some supporting mods (methanol, nitrous, etc) will get me there. I'd like it streetable, though.

I won't have mine driveable for quite a while. At least, not driveable with any respectable power numbers.

I have looked at a lot of the less expensive standalones. Personally I would like to just plug and play. Rather than re-wire everything again. I also like the data logging potential of the EMS. I am very familiar with the EMS, and there is online support if anything does happen. I used to be an engineer for ford and I also did a lot of the development in wiring. I dont want to come home to do it again. Unless I have to.

Are you going with the RB or the VG? I took a look at your site and it looks like you are going VG? Good target considering you are doing internals. http://www.redz31.com/ should be helpful for your intentions for 600whp VG. Jason lives a few hours from me, I have heard that his car is freaky fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no standalone is "plug and play", but I see your point, MS requires a bit more ... DIY.

I'm going VG, yes. I'm familiar with Jason's site. I've "built" a VG before, to nearly 400hp. That was on stock internals (well, stock z32tt rods and pistons in it). Yes, his car is fast, his new tuning with the romulator is fantastic: 420whp at, I believe, 16psi on whatever turbo. That's insane. I managed 390hp at 18psi....

Well, anyway, I have a long way to go before I can even put my motor in the car. Good luck with your project! Oh, and have fun with that trailing arm suspension, heheheh.

• 2 weeks later...

Started removal of parts today. now she will sit in the air for a few months...Started taking apart the old Z31 VG30E, before I startedIMG_1753.jpg, and about to get dark outside so I quit here. IMG_1781.jpg Total lapse time about 45 minutes. The radiator is just sittin there, cuz I am going to start the engine tomarrow and change the oil for whomever buys it. I plan on taking video of the engine running.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while and the car has been sitting for about 2 weeks now, but I noticed that the gap between the passenger door and rear quarter is waaaaay off, so I took off the fender to get at the hinges to adjust.

IMG_1838.jpg

And I finally got ahold of the person that I lent my cherrypicker to, and He is bringing it to me on saturday... As long as it is nice outside the Z will no longer have a heart or a tranny on saturday! I will update as soon as I get tired enough to quit working on the car.

• 1 month later...

OK so I actually started to work on the car again... Right now I am flipping the engine mounts on the crossmember, Putting a new clutch and all new timing parts. While I am at it I am going through the turbo because I found a MAF screen and plactic in the intake piping. I am first cleaning out the garage though. Here are a few pics of the ride and engine(s)....

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

I don't know what got into me lately, but I now have the engine on a stand, the car is being stripped of all the engine bay rust and I am getting all the measurements done for setting it in there. This engine will be a very tight squeeze as the engine alone is about 30 inches and the measurement from the firewall to the core support is 31.5 inches. This should be fun. I plan on cutting the core support out and making some brackets to bake it a bolt in core support like the dodge intrepids are.

Well here are some pics....

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

I am not done removing all of the rust in the primered areas, it started to rain.

Guest SS-Z31

Where where you Z31 guys when I had my car!? Looks great so far though! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I might have to get another Z31 for the RB treatment.

Yet another update on my swap.

OK, so I took some more measurements today... What I need to do to get the RB to sit in the engine bay... I need to swap the two engine mount brackets on the crossmember so that it moves them in 2" each.

18"IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

22"IMG_1942.jpg

The factory engine isloators form the VG bolt on to the RB, so I can use the poly mounts. The only difference between the isloators is the diameter and the length of the stud going through to the engine mount bracket. Well I guess that the two studs is a difference too, but That is only on one side.

IMG_1935.jpg

RB isolator

IMG_1933.jpg

VG isolator

IMG_1936.jpg

Also the distance between the tranny and engine mounts are identical between the RB and the VG at 39.5". Factory tranny mounts will be used.

Now I am waiting for the 200ZR rear sump oil pan and pickup. By the time they get here I should have the mounts swapped. So it will also be test fit time!!!!