HybridZ

eaton m90

matteo

hey everyone.

i have a 1972 datsun 240z with a 280z L28 straight 6 with overhead cam. Right now it's naturally aspirated by dual SUs.

My plans were to go with an Eaton M90 supercharger. I guess i'd have that going to an intercooler... then through a 4 barrel carb (my friend has a edlebrock 4 barrel carb he doesn't need) and then into an intake manifold.

would this work with the single 4 barrel? should i go with dual 4 barrels?

You do not need dual 4 barrels. A single 4 barrel will do. You can run either a wet of dry supercharger. I am still workin on my set up with tripple SK Racing Carbs, weber clones. I have a eaton M62 supercharger and plan on around 10 psi of boost. The simplest set ups that I have found are on TR6s with a single Jag SU feeding the supercharger.

Do a search to find out more info.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/index.html# You may not need to go so far as the M90; the M42 or M60 may be more appropriate unless you are really increasing displacement. Check out the eaton site and their specs. I'm not expert of course, and I do believe in overkill, but sometimes more isn't better, just more expensive, but becomes less effective. The four barrel intake would work well, of course. I was considering a similar idea on my BMW 3.5 L-6 in the Z, but I'm looking also at a Vortec charger, or, even figuring that NA may be enough to make me happy. Keep us posted with photos. Good luck, sounds fun.

I was also planning on doing something like this. I don't know how well the eaton s/c on a Mercades kompressor flows, but the size is about just right. I suppose you could swap the pully assembly, but I don't know s/c that well and don't know if the assemblies are swapable.

The Mercedes supercharge off of the SLK230 is a M62 and has a 3.5†Diameter pulley. I am looking at a 8.5†drive pulley for 10.8 psi off boost.

I found this place for the drive pulley, I need to design my adapter.

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightaspm.htm

To calculate the boost on an Eaton supercharge use:

(Super Charger Disp * Ratio * 14.7) - 14.7 = Boost Pressure

(1/2 Engine Displacement)

One thing neat about the Mercedes supercharger is the electric clutch on the drive pulley. It would be possible to drive around with it in bypass for regular street driving, using low octane gas. When you want to show off, filler up with high test. Of course this would work best with FI or wet supercharge. All that is needed is to install a bypass around the supercharge with a check valve.

Guest 73TPIZ
One thing neat about the Mercedes supercharger is the electric clutch on the drive pulley. It would be possible to drive around with it in bypass for regular street driving, using low octane gas. When you want to show off, filler up with high test. Of course this would work best with FI or wet supercharge. All that is needed is to install a bypass around the supercharge with a check valve.

I think I saw where the Toyota's had that setup and was thinking the same thing about how that would be a cool sleeper. Either a toggle or a WOT switch to activate it. That'd be bad a$$ at the track.

For a low budget bypass could you have something similar to a 280ZX Maf box with the spring loaded flapper door Tee'ing into the intake after the supercharger. The engine vacuum would keep the flapper open during normal driving and it would spring close under boost. Just a thought.

Take care,

The M90 installed on GM 3.8 liter supercharged cars has a Vacuum bypass valve, (no customization necessary) open during moderate to light throttle and closed during WOT this would be the easiest to accomidate decent mileage. Fuel injection would make worlds of difference in drivability and milage also. Get the AZC 4 barrel build an adapter to mount the GM eaton M90 supercharger on it and you could probably even use the huge GM Throttle body they used on the gm 3.8 liters. Only problem would be all the gm SC cars were FWD and the throttle body was on the back of the supercharger, but I still think there would be enough room. Good thing is that you could increase the dia of the pulley to slow it down and still get real decent boost and make the SC live a little longer, get a MHG and keep it under 10~12 PSI and you wont need an intercooler

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i dont know if this helps much but both Ford and GM used the m90 on 3.8 v6s, in the cougar xr7 and GrandPrix monte carlo, Riviera(which i have) and a few others, respectively..however the cougar xr7 by Ford ran much higher boost(like 12 compared to my Rivs 7) and had a intake manifold setup that allowed for a intercooler (sidemount air-air) now the supercharged cobra's and f-150s of latter years had the m112 if im not mistaken and they had sandwhich style water to air intercoolers..all in all ive had great luck with the m90, very durable and tons of relatively cheap upgrades..

• 6 years later...