HybridZ

'77 Dizzy swap problem

I just swapped my dizzy out of my '77 to a 80 dizzy as discibed by here http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html by BLUE. All the connections are correct. My problem is that when I tried to crank it for the first time , "BANG" out of the tailpipe. So I thought my timing was off some so I rotated the dizzy in both directions and nothing. I also loosened the other mount on the dizzy (the inverted bolt) and the same results. What am I missing? There is spark. And it seems like it's late. If I was to remove and reinstall the spak plug wire clockwise or counter clockwise can that help me out? I don't know which way to go or if there someting else I can do ? I don't see how I can be off of timing that much. I can't see how the dizzy can be installed wrong since the shaft is off set. Also the coil is an Accel one that ran fine with the old setup and ballast resistor.

Any help would be great.

Ummm !!!! Well I got her running. I reinstalled the wires 180 degree out and Varooom!!! I guess the dizzy was rebuilt some time in it's passed with the shaft 180 degrees out.

Did you accidently rotate the crank when you removed the dizzy? Because the dizzy goes at half-speed as the crank same as the cam. You can be at top dead center on the crank pulley but not on the compression stroke for the cam. You can tell if you are by putting the crank pulley at tdc opening open you oil cap and looking at the cam lobes. The one closest to the front of the car should be at 2 o'clock (looking from the front of the car) and the second cam lobe should be at the 10 o'clock position. Basically both of should be facing up slightly. Then take off your distributor cap and make sure your dizzy is facing towards the front of the car/ number 1 cylinder. Good luck

Well I figured out what my problem was. Apparently the dizzy was rebuilt some time in its past 180 degrees out. So I removed the roll pin at the bottom of the dizzy and rotated the offset shaft 180 degrees. Put it back together and she cranked with no problem. Thanks for every ones input.

Cheers

• 3 years later...