HybridZ

I Found A Cool Engine

driftz240

on the trailbazer six don't use the stock intake. and slant the motor. there hood clearence solved.

its also all alumium top to bottom. well except for the oil pan maybe. they are very light and about the size if not smaller than a jeep 4.0

I really believe anything widely available with a larger displacement as far as staright 6's go, is going to be a much larger engine (outside dimension wise)

Staight sixes have many draw backs they are heavier for equal displacement to V engines, most have harmonics problems. they really long which obviously isn't good for weight balance,

and a couple others.

But man are they sweet.

how short do you think this big big nissan six is?

not very is my guess. not to mention it has sae 3 bellhousing bolt pattern. for those of you who do not know what that means.

Its really big well for a car any way.

the bellhousing bolt pattern is a circle and 16.5" in dia. uses larger med-duty truck transmissions.

the gm I5 is more like a saab I5.

your better off using a 292 chevy or a 300 ford if you want BIG displacement straight 6

theres a racing class just for american straight sixes. So they do go. long time ago I think it was car craft did an article about making power with these engines. since in stock trim they don't turn a hair more than 4k.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the info I got at the dealer.

SD33 crank will not work, it only has four main bearings.

P40 crank might work it has seven main bearings but the thrust bearing is in the #1 position unlike the L series which is in #4

TB42 crank also might work but it has the thrust bearing in the #6 position.

So now some one needs to get their hands on the parts to get some measurements, the critical ones are bearing widths and center to center distance between each. We also need to know bearing size and max stroke clearance. I'll make some more calls and see what I can find in the area.

got a lead on some TB's.

got a friend who's in a part of australia as of now that seems to be telling me how much he loves the partols, and sees them everywhere.

he's the one i sourced my RB30 and my RB26 parts from, so he's going to check around for TB42's and 48's

NEWS:

Since the time difference is so great, we benefit from fast updates =)

My engine source has a shop that has a carb'd TB42 for about 650 (not sure if it's CAD or USD, but the canadian dollar is so close right now, so it's not like it makes a big difference).

That's for a long block with no transmission.

as for a TB48, there are some around in local new-car junk yards near where he is, but the people working there reckon they'll go for close to 5000 before shipping, so it's more like 6200 landed. Maybe a bit less, if at all possible.

This includes long block and all electronics, plus the guage cluster perhaps.

Heres some info I got back from an industrial parts supplier concerning bearing widths. He was not able to provide info about bearing spacing.

The P40 specs are as follows:

No.1(Front): 2 pcs: 40.50mm

No.2,3,5: 8 pcs: 26.13mm

No.4: 2 pcs: 41.13mm

No.7: 2 pcs: 49.13mm

These P40 specs are from NDC bearings, MS1172GP.

There is also a "P" engine, NDC # MS1001GP.

Its specs are as follows:

No.1: 2 pcs: 43.65mm

No. 2,3,5: 8 pcs: 26.00mm

No.4: 2 pcs: 41.00mm

No.7: 2 pcs: 49.00mm

The TB42 specs are as follows, NDC# MS1199A:

No.1,2,3,4,5,7: 12 pcs: 26.00mm

No.6: 2 pcs: 31.95mm

So why not just use the whole bottom end and just stick a Z or Maxima head on there? With that much stroke y'all are going to punch a hole through the side of the cylider wall with a piston.

Even with the height of the LD28 block the rod/stroke ratio is close to 1.5:1!!!

I think it would make a cool swap but the lack of height on a L28 block is going to kill longetivity of said motor.

The problem is that all of the engines in question are OHV. However from the pics I have of the TB42 block it looks to still have the L series head bolt pattern. They just added a few bolts. The other problem is that it uses an industrial bellhousing so an adapter would be needed. at that point you might as well just get an RB. As it stands the most likely crankshaft is the TB42 which is 96mm stroke. All else being equal the rod/stroke ratio is 1.18. Same crank in a LD block is 1.38 ratio.

A stock L24 has a r/s ratio of 1.8:1

A stock L28 has a r/s ratio of 1.65:1

A L29/30/31 stroker motor usually has r/s of 1.6:1

I think as long as you aren't turboing it or doing crazy overbores then it should be OK for a street motor.

I don't like the idea of spending all the money on something cool like that and then not being able to push crazy HP numbers or boost.

well i dont know what all the talking about the TB42 and TB48 is, but I assumed that one would want to turbo it or build it up with custom parts, not swapping parts from engine to engine.

The TB DE models have a dual overhead cam that I'm sure can be ported and polished, or even reworked extensively to get an engine with increased displacement, which is always a good thing in a performance application, no?

It was an exageration...

Having a bad rod/stroke ratio puts more force on the cylinder walls and thus wears them out over time. Plus piston failure is more common on a motor with a bad R/S ratio.

So your worried that any extra power will push the piston through the cylinder wall? I dont think I've heard that before, but then again I havnt delt with these rod ratios before.

It was an exageration...

Having a bad rod/stroke ratio puts more force on the cylinder walls and thus wears them out over time. Plus piston failure is more common on a motor with a bad R/S ratio.

while that's true, with some good preparation for things like that, and taking into account certain tolerances to minimize wear, anyone willing to go the extra mile could do something with either of those setups mentioned, i bet.

but then again, you could say that about anything in life . lol

disregard this post if you've read this far.

Updates???

the last update i made essentially went something like "if you want it, i can tell you of someone who can get one for you"

however, it will be expensive, and it will be hard to ship to US too, because most things come to the same place here in Ontario first, shipped over from BC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
New Update that I came across on Ebay.

Not sure if it was mentioned.

TB42 also came in the Ford Maverick.

.... seems as though Chevy isn't the only company Nissan decided to give an I6 to.

Just so no one runs around US junkyards looking at 70s cars...the XLT Maverick in Australia is a rebadged Nissan Patrol. The US straight six is a very different animal than the TB42. ;) Ben