HybridZ

APEXi power fc for SR20DET

Do Not Buy this unless you plan on getting the Datalogit which allows it to be connected to a laptop. I got mine back yesterday and it needed tuning, I got someone else's map with similar mods and tried to put it in using the commander. It took 5 hours since there are 800 little boxes to fill in and the commander has six buttons which means you have to scroll to change values. Incidentally, I still did not like the way it ran, so I did a re-initialize and lost all of that data. I restarted the Power FC according to the manual and it now runs great.

No, I fixed that problem. I just run constant power to the unit. It does not seem to drain the battery. I was just concerned since the Commander unit will stay on. It has a small LCD screen which is backlit. I suppose if I unplug the Commander it would be no drain. I left it on all weekend and it did not phase my Red Optima. I did put a switch on the ECU so I can cut power to it after turning off the key. It will still retain its memory if I shut it down like that too.

The datalogit cures the Gameboy Thumb problem. There are 800+ boxes on the Power FC that need programmed. With just 6 buttons, that requires tons of scrolling. Gameboy Thumb in a major way. The datalogit allows the use of a laptop and maps that are saved to be put in without using the Commander. It saves tons of time and thumbwear.

Yes, you are exactly correct. It seems that the Power FC holds a relay on after the car is shut down, then cuts power. This is what APEXi says, anyway. Are you going to buy the Power FC? If so, be sure to get the datalogit or you will have "meth thumb" (a condition which affects meth makers from pushing pseudoephedrine push tablets out of their containers by the hundred to make meth) or "gameboy thumb" (self explanatory).

I have been looking into the Power FC, but haven't totally decided on it yet. I'm still keeping the MegaSquirt option open. I would like to go with the AEM EMS but it seems a little too expensive compared to the others out there. Any reccomendations of any that I should look into?

I have a Tec3 and love it.

Tuning with a MAP sensor kicks the crap out of tuning a MAF any day. MAF's are nice for stock setups... but if you've got standalone capabilities, ditch that damn MAF and go for MAP simplicity.

The D-Jetro PowerFC is MAP run. This costs a little more than a standard PowerFC, but is worth it.

The AEM is worlds better than a PowerFC. The price is the problem, of course.

Same goes for the Tec3, but it has full ignition for the price you pay.

Real standalones like the Tec's or AEM have dozens of options the PowerFC doesn't. Most of which you're probably not gonna need... but if you get deep into it, its nice to have.

Read up on the different computers on their respective website to see the options available. You may see some stuff you like that one has over the others.

The TecII, as reccomended above by SR240Z, is still a great system and can be had used for pretty cheap these days. It's an 8x8 map instead of 16x16 like the Tec3, but many other features are the same. (such as Electromotive's outstanding ignition system)

The Haltech's are another option. They can the stock cam angle sensor and ignitor/coil packs on the SR20DET. The Haltech E6X is great for the price (about same as a new PowerFC with commander) and the E11 is outstanding, but pricey.

There's a lot of options out there. Putting a really good computer in there will make all the difference. Some things you can skimp on, this is one department I refuse to.