HybridZ

Pics of custom TT cage

bjhines

OK... finally... The interior is done, everything is fitted and welded. All I have to do is knock off the weld spatter and prep for paint.

I added 2 more bars at the kinks in the door braces.

Doorbarscompleteside.jpg

Doorbarscompleterear.jpg

I used some neat little preformed gussets on the front end at the weakest joints.

Doorbarscompletefront.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Wow, what a build. I have always wanted to build a cage, but I am sure my plans would fall short in every way compared to yours.

What would the bare minimum be for caging up your Z?

My z will not be seeing track time, but I would like to put a hoop and some bracing.

Or would I just be adding useless weight?

Again, props to you on such nice fabrication. I am very impressed, as is everyone else.

Man... I have 90% of this thing complete and assembled. My progress on this project ceased the day the stock market crashed. I am getting along fine, but the funds for completion of the V8Z are not gonna happen right now.

I have been playing with my BMW M3 as a daily driver and track car. I have not even tracked that car very much this year. I just don't have the money to go burning through tires and brakes right now.

I have been looking longingly at the V8Z nearly daily. It may get the Arizona big brake kit before X-mas.. Then next year we'll see if I can get the rest together and find funds for consumables.

I have been lucky enough to make a few $$$ by building several other track cars for other people. A friend and I have also put a lot of money into some fab tools I wish I had when I was working on the Z car.

In the past year we have purchased a Tubing bender, Plasma cutter, and a TIG welder. Man those are nice to have. I just fabbed a roll bar for a 300ZX on Saturday.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice Cage Build, I know this is an old thread but OP is still here and I didn't ressurect it.

I may use some of your ideas when I get to builing my cage. I want to be SCCA legal so I'll do a few things differently, such as integrating the main hoop closer to the side of the car in-front of the wheelwell, though I really liked your integrations into the wheelwell too. I'm also going to build in the adjustible Camber plates at the same time. Couple things I've wondered about with this, and other cage builds. One is at the base of your A pillar, forward to the firewall, do you have a connector there to your frame, so that in the event of a side impact, your feet don't get banged up, or worse pinned by 1.5" tubing. It's up to you, but I've always thought it would be a good idea.

Something I've thought about too is the idea of building the Door bars into the door itself, using heavier hinges, and at the latch, use Cupped catch plates similar to the upper side of the Z32 door catch. I know this is probably not going to be legal for SCCA driving, but I'd figure it would hold in the event of an impact, though maybe not so much in a rollover at 100MPH, the door latches would need to hold the door shut, thus being the weak points.

Alternately, I've been looking at maybe using the main leather covered, fancy finish, main hoop from a early 2000's ford mustang convertable. It's not track legal either, but would look nice inside a Z.

Let me know if you want clarification on any on my ideas depicted here. and I can try to get some pictures drawn up to show more detail.

Phar

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...