HybridZ

LD28 Diesel w/ 5 Speed for $1700 - is this right? diesel plans...

jmead

I've been reading alot about diesels recently, specifically for bio-diesel and SVO/WVO capability. I've got a 1970 240z Chasis with a blown engine, thinking a diesel swap would be a cool choice. I've found a LD28 complete engine w/ 5 speed tranny shipped to me for $1700. I haven't found any other engines like this for sale, so I have no idea if this is a fair price. I'm also a little worried about finding parts for this engine.... google turns up little and I'm not sure where to look. The thought of this swap really excites me however, I've read another diesel 240z gets 44 mpg, and fuel you can get for free at most any resturant sounds too good to be true.

How about the engine cost. Does $1700 sound fair? The price sounds OK to me....but i dont want to find out a couple weeks down the road that everybody else pays $500 for a complete LD28 and I got ripped off. Normally I just look at past sales to get an idea of a fair price, but I dont have anything to go on.

There is one for sale here for $1500 without transmission. I think thats alot, but the junkyard I go to lets me get a bottom end out the door for $64 so thats why I think $1500 is expensive. There is a forum, that I cant find right now that has about 45 members who are all diesel max owners. If you can find it, there is a classifieds section.

IIRC the diesel in maxima form only gets 30mpg, and only makes 80hp. Personally I would rather have a Z with a SR that gets 25-30mpg and makes 200hp, but thats just me.

Make sure you read as much as you can about bio-diesel and WVO systems before you jump headstrong into this. Its not a hard process, but its not as easy as going to mcdonalds and filling the tank up. I just picked up a Audi 4000 diesel I plan on converting, it gets 45mpg but wont do much over 70mph. Perfect for my commute but nothing else.

Here is a good place to start: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Well, I went ahead and made the purchase. I should have the engine and trans by next week. I realize this motor isn't going to be a screamer, but that isn't the point. I want something to get me from point a to point b, cheaply, and even if its not fast, it will still be stylish.

I suppose alot of my effort should be concentrated on aero and weight, just as much as HP. What are the easiest ways to streamline a Z? It seems pretty sleek as is, but there is always room for improvement.

I have been thinking about the turbo path. I have questions about how well a turbo mixes with alternative fuels. Does diesel have any "octane" rating like petrol does? It seems to me that dino diesel/bio diesel/WVO/SVO would all have different characteristics, but I dont see how you tune to engine to run with these differences when your fuel isn't always consistant.

Also, I've been doing some reading on propane injection as a possible turbo alternative. I've read that a conventional diesel only burns ~75% of the fuel to produce power, the rest is expelled as smoke and soot that gives diesels their characteristic dirtyness. I've read that with the addition of propane, this burning becomes much more effecient and this number jumps to ~95%, not only making the engine much cleaner, but producing more power at the same time. Does propane really enchance the combustion this much? Why doesn't everyone run propane?

I have a friend who has a Ford Excursion. He put a chip in it, six inch exhaust, and propane injection. It didn't cost him that much and he now has something like 900 lb/ft of torque. The thing will spin all four tires off the line, with a 4" lift and 35s, and still desecrate any mustang stoplight to stoplight. For more info on diesel power, I might check out http://www.bankspower.com . Not exactly your motor they deal with, but they are the leader in the diesel aftermarket field. Maybe someone in their tech department could help you out, I've heard they're good to work with.

The BioDiesel project car that was sold on eBay like a year ago was a 240z that looked like it had yellow flames in the front but was indeed a flower. it was a turbo'd LD28, and was creating some pretty healthy torque at low boost levels.

If I remember correctly all the turbo parts except the j-pipe probably bolt right up. Matched with a correct tranny and diff I bet you could get some great fuel mileage.

Mario

what size turbo should I be looking for? I want something that will spool quickly and devlop full boost pretty quickly. Diesels make most of their power lower in the rpm range, so a turbo that doesn't spool until 4000 rpms is as good as worthless. I dont want a ton of boost, either, just enough to pick up performance to a reasonable level. Engine life is just as important as power

does the 280zxt exhaust manifold bolt up to the LD28? I've read on zcar.com that it does not, but I've also read that it does. Anybody have any knowledge on this? How did the other diesel 240z turbo that engine?

One more question....how do diesels like super chargers? I'm worried about not being able to find a turbo manifold since I've heard that the exhaust ports are different. A super charger, however, solves that problem, as well as another. Diesels make most of their power lower in the rpm band, they dont hit the high revs most gassers make their max power at. A turbo, however, is best suited for high output at high revs, but most dont seem to make much boost at lower speeds. A supercharger, however, makes a fixed amount of boost from idle all the way up to redline, seems like a perfect fit. Not only that, but there are eaton superchargers made for imports that have electric clutches and the 2.5 - 3 L range. This could even concievably be paired with a turbo, also, for more low-end boost to help the turbo spool. The diesel engine has AC and PS, neither of which will I be needing, so one of these spots should be perfect for a SC

Im sure the exhaust manifold will bolt on. The LD intake bolts on to a normal L motor, and the LD exhaust ports are the same looking as your N42/P90/any squareport head.

From the limited pics ive seen of the veggie car, it used a stock 280zxt manifold, turbo, and downpipe. I assume since it worked once it will work again.

One big issue your going to have to take care of is the LD uses a front sump oil pan where the Z uses a rear sump. Im going to say its a matter of fabbing up a oil pickup and installing the Z pan.

Im sure the exhaust manifold will bolt on. The LD intake bolts on to a normal L motor' date=' and the LD exhaust ports are the same looking as your N42/P90/any squareport head.

One big issue your going to have to take care of is the LD uses a front sump oil pan where the Z uses a rear sump. Im going to say its a matter of fabbing up a oil pickup and installing the Z pan.[/quote']

Thanks, that is all I needed to know. Will make things much easier, though I'm still going to think about that super charger for the future. I think I'm going to go with a rebuilt turbo instead of one off of a 100k+ mile car, since they are only a couple hundred $$. Anybody have suggestions for a diesel turbo?