HybridZ

My 4L60E Z28 Stock shifter install just FYI(with pics)

Guest BiltWel

Guest BiltWel

Just thought I'd post this for anyone that has fought with a shifter install this worked great for me using all GM parts for a 97 Z28 automatic(shifter w/neutral safety and backuplight switch,cable(it will be too short if you don't do this),trans pan bracket, and trans shifter lever) plus it makes it all fit nicely in the console and will look stock when complete. Leme know what you think.

+IztrWd4Se-KblZVWj87e9PkjDW2E7x50300.jpg

NbxlA3g6n61mho6jvuZ-G1rsy8cYY-i10300.jpg

ahGMHHG13g1m2eOHjr7CgqI+9JHU1ALH0300.jpg

DugZdbmdBoA5xtOXujbO7n62v0Sh28Wm0300.jpg

X3oQ2XSkSCFUCpLW26NGUhzttHKILGmo0300.jpg

Also This setup costs about the same as a new B&M shifter alone not to mention all the cables and so forth even cheaper if you E-Bay

Guest 73TPIZ

Very slick,

I nudged my '86 TA shifter down in the factory recess after covering the hole with metal so mine sits a tad high. The hardware is up in the boot a little tight and it moves the center console a 1/4" or so from Park to 1st. I need to countersink it in the tunnel like yours is. I assume yours is down further than mine and you don't have that problem. Do you know if the '93 up shifters are smaller than the older ones?

I also love the fact that i had Park/Neutral/Back-up wiring already there. Mine has the factory Pontiac T-handle. I need to get the Z28 top so it fools onlookers that its Manual.

Here's my setup

10479.jpg

You built your box out of ~16-20guage sheet metal and cut the tunnel for the box to slip down into, right?

Again, very clean install.

Guest BiltWel

I did have to cut the shifter base down a little to fit in this config. If you look at a stock shifter it has a big extension sticking out on the front left side in order to mount the solinoid that keeps it from going into gear unless the brake is depresed. As far as the size differential on our shifters I don't know on that yours has to be smaller is my first assumption looking at your pic, but can't say for sure due to the boot covering it all up. As for your last question yes the box I built is 18 gage and yes I cut the tunnel out and just slid it in the hole after appling a bead of silicone around the hole, but be carful of the tunnel width towards the back of the box it gets real tight toward the back I was almost cutting into the side of the trans tunnel instead of the top of it in that location. Thanks for the compliments by the way.

Oh man,

That looks great! I am at the stage where I'm starting to look at how to mount my shift lever (from a 95 Z28), and your set up is the best idea I've seen so far.

Can you tell me more about the box that the shift assy sits in? Is that something you fabbed or got from the donor car? I don't know if I can make one myself; I'm good at assembly but not so good at creation........

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Bill

Guest BiltWel

Bill I might be interested in selling you mine and making myself another if your interested but I don't even know where to start on pricing the thing. I like to think that I am a fairly experianced fabricator and this took me a minute or two to make if you know what I mean. But everything is for sell for the right price. Leme know.

Guest BiltWel

Man in retrospect I would really rather not remove mine. But I may be able to make the box with the lips on them for you. The lips would have to be finished up by you due to the need to conform to the tunnel. Yours could be forward or aft of mine due to alot of different reasons. I.E Shifter choice, just magain of error factors. So you would have to trim and do the final welding on the lips. about mabey 10 inches total of 4 welds. Leme know if your interested send me a P.M. or an E-Mail. I could do it for mabey $50 bucks plus material and shipping. I would have to get some more steal, if I can pick up some scrap I won't charge you for it, but I may have to buy some. You would also have to come up with a way to mount your shifter in the box. I tack welded 2 button head 1/4" bolts through the bottom of the box and used some nylon lock nuts with washers to secure mine in the box after setting the shifter in there and drilling through them both if you look closley you can see them in the pics. I plan on using butal strip to seal the cable where it goes through the box originally the plan was to use the grommet on the cable but I got the hole for it too low and had to hog it out a bit(hence the teardrop shape of it) in order for the cable to clear once the shifter was tightened down in the box. Hindsite is 20/20.

• 3 years later...