HybridZ

VH45 Manual Box Adaptor Plate

John Dixon

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.OK' date=' here are some pics of the finished product:

Outer is hand cut with band saw to reduce costs on single items, CNC shops wanted a fortune for small runs.

Cost for a single piece works out at US $850 plus shipping. Currrent UK exhange rate is about 1.8$/£ !!!

Could get the price down to around $650 on a batch of 5.

Kit will include plate, flywheel spacer and all bolts and dowels.

[img']http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerofile/33133/TP01r.jpg[/img]

I hope you don't mind, I copied your post from the other sire.

I'm definately in. It looks like alot of others are too. I know alot are just talk though. Hopefully there will be atleast 5 people. If you are serious please post as I want to save some money:biggrin:. Are you looking for a list and deposit?

We'll get a list first and confirm numbers then I can come back with a definate price. Obviously more people = better discount and cheaper material.

For what its worth I absorbed the design costs on the first 3 I've already done as the initial work was 81 hours!

Guest pmpmstrb

I'm saving money as we speak. :lol:

1. Mark Cookson (mtcookson HybridZ/Nico)

2. Pmpmstrb (money in hand)

More?

Lets go guys!!

OK, i am most certainly in on the kit if we can get the price down lower if enough people are buying. I have some questions though. I have a Z31 and the shifter comes straight out of the tranny itself. I see that the Z32 tranny looks shorter and uses a linkage for the shifter. Ive never seen how the shifter rod itself is mounted so it can pivot and push on that rod to shift. I wonder how this is going to be a problem when dropping it in a S13 considering the shifter comes directly out of the tranny on these cars stock too? I am afraid that the shifter will not want to reach the shifter hole because the tranny is too short. True the 1" thick adaptor plate will help, but it looks too short. The 87-89T Z31 Trannies have the same internals as a Z32TT tranny i hear...I dont believe the bolt patterns for the Z31 and Z32 bell housings are the same though so i suppose i am stuck with the Z32TT tranny. I guess i need to just buy it all, bolt it together and drop it in and check how it all lines up....wish someone had some measurement differences in length between the Z32TT tranny and 240sx tranny from bellhousing to shifter itself....anyone?

Oh and my buddy is planning on a similar project but going RX7 i believe, he is probably in on the deal when i am too. So count 2 more in, woohoo! Come on people, lets get 10 so the prices are a little cheaper

Guest pmpmstrb

Found this about NA and TT trannies. Came from here http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic37536.htm It's #3 under "other Drivetrain"

3. The NA and TT have the same 5 speed transmission model #, same splines on input and output shafts, etc. and the housings are the same except for one small difference. The spot where the starter mounts on the bellhousing on the TT is machined a little differently so that the starter will properly engage the slightly larger diameter flywheel and so that the flywheel teeth won’t scrape the inside of the bellhousing. You can use an NA 5 speed in a TT but you just have to shim the starter out a little with some flat washers and sometimes grind a little out of the inside of the bellhousing so the TT flywheel will fit inside.

If trying to use a TT trans in an NA you would either have to grind down where the starter mounts so that it could engage the smaller NA flywheel or just use the TT flywheel, which could be used with TT or NA clutch.

The automatic transmission is different for a TT, but the NA auto would still fit in place behind the TT engine. Although, they are different lengths and you would have to use the corresponding driveshaft. Both autos are geared virtually the same but the TT one is built for heavier duty.

Roastin300- You could always cut the z32 bellhousing off and weld it to the front of your z31. That way you can use the adapter plate, but still have the shifter how you want it.

The 87-89T Z31 Trannies have the same internals as a Z32TT tranny i hear...I dont believe the bolt patterns for the Z31 and Z32 bell housings are the same though so i suppose i am stuck with the Z32TT tranny.

They are both VG motors, should be the same bolt pattern. I know all Toyota stuff of the same engine family is regardless of twin cam or single.

Roastin,

IF you can find a z32 bellhousing (good luck) it will directly bolt on to the z31t (87-89) transmission. That would be the easiest way to get the z31 trans on. If I remember correctly the z31 na trans and the s13 trans are basically the same. Also the z31t trans have the shifter located roughly the same as the z31na trans. So it's reasonable to assume that the shifter location of the s13=z31na=z31t. Now the question would be can you get the transmission back as far as the stock s13 trans would be using the adapter on the vh45. I have a feeling it will be close.

BTW here are some more pics of our 450sx swap. I got most of the ecu wiring done last night. We have spark and fuel. We just need to get all the crazy intake piping put together and we can crank her over. http://www.ibconceptions.com/q45/thumbs.php

Z32 5-speed bell housing isn't removeable. The VG30E(T) bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the VG30DE(T)(TT) and the VE30DE (no reason to include the VE... just some useless information incase someone wants to use the VE I suppose).

Anyways... on the shifter, the beautiful thing about having linkage instead of directly in the tranny is you can fabricate your own linkage to put it pretty much wherever you want it.

If the linkage is too far forward, weld together some bars to make it longer. If its too far back, shorten the stock ones to move it forward. Should be pretty easy if you have the stuff to do it.

Technically the bellhousing is not removeable. However, that entire part of the transmission casing is interchangeable between the z31t and z32 trans.

Although I dont remember for sure I'm guessing you're right about the bolt patterns being the same. At the very least you can probably use the adapter plate with only minor changes if any. The starter could also be an issue if you stick with the z31 housing.

Guest pmpmstrb

So what is the possibility of getting one now? This is holding my entire project back and I am willing to pay $850 for one.

Stinky,

What are you using for tuning? Did you pull the entire stock wiring harness, sensors, relays and ECU? Was that a pain and how was the wiring job? Also how about the Auto tranny? Will it run just fine without needing to read the auto tranny sensors? I mean is all that integrated into the ECU or is the tranny controlled entirely seperate fromt he engine ECU? I was probably going to save myself some time and build my own megasquirt harnesses and go that route from the start, build my own crank trigger setup and whatnot....I would like to get it running nice and smooth perfectly on stock tuning first but stock wiring is a nightmare. Oh and since your one of the ECU guys on our Z31 board, have you looked into how the Q45 ECU is setup and what its capabilities are? Romulator? Thanks man

I was probably going to save myself some time and build my own megasquirt harnesses and go that route from the start, build my own crank trigger setup and whatnot....

RS motorsports has MS harnesses for $54. All the leads are labeled every 3'. I wouldn't even bother with the stock efi.

Roastin,

The only thing I wouldnt like about megasquirt at this point is that, as far as I've seen, it doesnt support coil on plug and sequential injection. You can do wasted spark and batch injection but I have a feeling it's not going to be easy or ideal on the vh45. If/when they release the router board for the MS you should be able to do sequential injection and COP.

As far as stock wiring goes its actually been very easy so far. You'll want to have the stock s13 harness and a full vh45 engine harness. The VH45 harness should fit in the stock s13 firewall port. You'll need to cut out the section of the s13 harness that runs to the relay box and run that in with the vh45 harness. That part of the s13 harness provides the power and such from the relays and ignition switch. There is a relay or two that is used on the vh45 but I'm bypassing them. Hopefully that wont cause any problems later.

As far as the AT stuff I think the engine will be fine without it. The q45 (90-94?) has a seperate at control unit. I see no reason why there will be a problem and i havent heard of anyone having one yet.

The (91-93) vh45 ecu is very similiar to the z32 ecu. I've run across a couple people that have reprogrammed them so I dont think itll be any harder than the z32 ecu. The romulator should work and Nistune will likely support it as well.

Technically the bellhousing is not removeable. However' date=' that entire part of the transmission casing is interchangeable between the z31t and z32 trans.

Although I dont remember for sure I'm guessing you're right about the bolt patterns being the same. At the very least you can probably use the adapter plate with only minor changes if any. The starter could also be an issue if you stick with the z31 housing.[/quote']

Ahh, ok. I get it now.

If the later (87-89) Z31's use the same starter setup as the earlier ones with the BW 5-speed then that will be a problem (starer next to block, pointing torwards tranny). The Z32 starter bolts to the bell housing itself so, unless the Z31 does the same on the later model, you'll have to use the Z32 tranny or combine the two as stinky mentioned above.

OK, so far.

1. Mark Cookson (mtcookson HybridZ/Nico)

2. Pmpmstrb (HybridZ) CONFIRMED

3. Clifton (HybridZ) CONFIRMED

4. roastin300 (HybridZ) ??

5. Roastin300 has a friend that will likely be buying one as well. ??

6. ?

Can all on here confirm yes / no for certain and I'll firm up prices on that basis. May have one more for someone that emailed me but not sure yet.