HybridZ

Can you finish sand flat black?

AK-Z

Does anyone know if you can finish sand flat black? or is it just a finish coat? I ended up spraying my hood with flat black but I forgot to sand it down one more time before I started spraying. Once I realized what I forgot to do, I figured I would deal with it later and sprayed the rest of it.

the scratches aren't very noticeable unitll you get up close, so if I can't finish sand it, I will spray a couple more coats, but I am almost out of flat black and only have another can of high gloss black. I dare not use gloss on the hood because its the unvented hood and it show the imperfections alot easier.

What do you guys think I should do? I don't want to put too much work into it because I might get a FG hood down the road.

yes you can sand it ...you have to be carefull....

for my paint, as you saw, after spraying the base coat (which was flat black), i got specks in it...so i sanded it down with 800 WET...and then put another coat of base before i cleared it...but remember..if you didnt sand under the basecoat...all the scratches are UNDER it so in order to take them out...you would have to go trough the basecoat i dont know if you wanna do that...gotta pic?...if not still wet sand it with 800 and dont go trough and should look way beter

I just wet sanded it with 1000. it turned out pretty nice, it got most of the scratchs out and all the other scratches should be gone once I put 2 more coats on. I might as well buy another can of flat anyways. then I'll start to clear.

Sorry no pix, no camera.

yes you can sand it ...you have to be carefull....

for my paint' date=' as you saw, after spraying the base coat (which was flat black), i got specks in it...so i sanded it down with 800 WET...and then put another coat of base before i cleared it...but remember..if you didnt sand under the basecoat...all the scratches are UNDER it so in order to take them out...you would have to go trough the basecoat i dont know if you wanna do that...gotta pic?...if not still wet sand it with 800 and dont go trough and should look way beter[/quote']

So did you base coat your entire car with flat black and them color coated with viper black, then cleared?