HybridZ

Progress on my front splitter

That what I think jon. I cant think of a practical way to add a skirt around the front though. I would rather make a molded splitter that served both functions.

from the side, picture something like this:

| <- Airdam

<- transition to lower spliter and "mold" into airdam

-- <- splitter

This would serve both purposes without using flimsy lawn edging which I see alot of people using. I personally dont find it too attractive and without a good deal of bracing it doesnt do much good. Particularly when we are talking this close to the ground longevity is an issue.

Wish we had some aerospace engineers to chime in here, Im sure there have to be some on the board. Of course then we might all feel stupid.

Synlubes -- I havent cut enough of the airflow from the engine compartment to matter at all. Im fact I believe that the 280z's came with a belly pan that went to the engine cross member. Prolly helps with engine cooling if i had to guess myself. I seriously doubt I will ever cut my hood, I have been thinking about cutting my fenderwells though to relieve pressure build up in the engine compartment.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish we had some aerospace engineers to chime in here, Im sure there have to be some on the board. Of course then we might all feel stupid.

I just got a new book from Simon Mcbeath called competition car aerodynamics. You may want to get a copy before going too far. They did a number of CFD studies on a generic shape that's close to a Z on the front. It shows airdam, airdam with belly pan, splitter, and splitter with diffuser. They all work a little differently and change the flow around/under the car. Simon writes the aerobytes column in racecar engineering. This book is basically those columns expanded.

Synlubes -- I havent cut enough of the airflow from the engine compartment to matter at all. Im fact I believe that the 280z's came with a belly pan that went to the engine cross member. I have been thinking about cutting my fenderwells though to relieve pressure build up in the engine compartment.

I'm pretty sure all the Z's had a splash pan. I put holes in my inner fenders to help vent the engine compartment when I ran a belly pan. I then used gurneys on the front of the fenders to help create more of an extraction, which helped to lower the engine temp. I also created a simple diffuser in front of the radiator. That's another thing you can try to make things more efficient and make the entire openning smaller in the front.

Cary

I put holes in my inner fenders to help vent the engine compartment when I ran a belly pan. I then used gurneys on the front of the fenders to help create more of an extraction' date=' which helped to lower the engine temp. I also created a simple diffuser in front of the radiator. That's another thing you can try to make things more efficient and make the entire openning smaller in the front.

Cary[/quote']

Any pics Cary?

It would appear I lost most of my pics when I lost a hard drive last year. I do have some from when I started my experiments that would give you an idea of what I did.

The u-shaped piece seen in the photo below had a top, which is in the second photo. Unfortunately I don't have anything close up or of the holes I put in the engine compartment. All I did there was put 3 inch holes in the inner fender in front of the strut (3 on each side) and flanged teh edges.

Cary

HPIM0081_thumb.JPG

IMG_7242_thumb.JPG

I just added a strip of aluminum to the bottom of my generic airdam after my splitter concept failed. I used 10/32 button head screws, nylocks, and large washers.

otc04_sears_coffey_grid.jpg

Also, here are a couple shots of the failed splitter I had built. It made the front of the car fly because it wasn't close enough to the ground.

btw410paddock1.jpg

blingbling.jpg

I also created a simple diffuser in front of the radiator.

Is a front diffuser a rising section behind the lowest bit at the front? As seen in this pic: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser5.jpg

Does this function to slow the air down, reducing pressure, at the same time as a high pressure zone exists above/in front?

Sorry if thats not too clear, I'm still coming to grips with the majority of these concepts.

Dave

Is a front diffuser a rising section behind the lowest bit at the front? As seen in this pic: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser5.jpg

Does this function to slow the air down' date=' reducing pressure, at the same time as a high pressure zone exists above/in front[/quote']

Sorry, in diffuser it may have made more sense to say duct. What I'm talking about is really diffusing duct in front of the radiator. It's purpose to slow by expanding the air going into the radiator matrix. The next part of what I was going to do was block off a lot more of the front openning.

Does that help?

Cary

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...