HybridZ

headlight cover install

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg at Altec Products is INCREDIBLY Service-Oriented. I am certain that he would email you directions if needed. He has helped me on every occasion without any hassle...and I have NO affiliation with him or company. Just great service !

• 2 months later...

The best method I have found for installing the headlight covers with the three aluminum brackets and sticky tape is as follows: This is a "LEAVE NO TRACE BEHIND" method. No drilling, no paint damage, and no slow peeling of the brackets over time, like you get with the foam tape in the kits.

1 Throw away the sticky tape or stick it to your forehead.

2 Get some clear paint protection film. 3M stuff ( http://www.xpel.com)

3 Cut 2"x 1" pieces if the protection film and stick them to the headlight bucket exactly where the brackets will mount.

4 Line up each bracket EXACTLY where it will need to go and mark the location on the film, lightly, with a pencil.

5 Get some CA adhesive, modelers version of crazy glue. SPRAY-ON-CA-Kicker helps to set the glue up instantly.

6 Clean the brackets and the film on the car with alcohol. Brush the base of the bracket with the CA glue and place it on the marks, hold it until the glue sets. Or spray it with the Kicker for instant set.

DO NOT GET CA GLUE OR ITS FUMES NEAR YOUR PAINT, CLEAR COVERS, OR ON YOUR FINGERS. BE NEAT AND VERY CAREFUL. MASK OFF AROUND THE MOUNT POINTS FOR SAFETY FROM RUNAWAY GLUE.

Done.

The glue holds the brackets to the film really well, the film holds to the paint really well. If you ever need to remove the brackets, just peel off the film and there is no trace left on the paint. You can grind the CA glue off the brackets after you peel them off the car, if you need to re-position them or reuse them later. They are on ROCK SOLID...it's so good, I should patent the method! :wink:

• 3 months later...