HybridZ

L28 custom intake flange

JustinOlson

Alright, well I have a rough model in Solidworks of the flange. Sorry for taking forever and a day to actually do this. I made some slight alterations. I'm working on different ideas at this point. I used 1.759" ID tubing for the model. I'm going to finish up the plenum later today.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4367&step=4&showunits=inches

l28flangeqb7.jpg

l28manifoldpg9.jpg

Regards,

Justin

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a close up of the alterations I made to the flange from Ron's Design. I added slight cutouts(0.050") to center the runners to the flange. Also, I added material to make the runners easier to weld up.

l28flange3fy0.jpg

Regards,

Justin

• Administrators

Looking good Justin.

I have a couple comments, if I may...

I added slight cutouts(0.050") to center the runners to the flange. Also, I added material to make the runners easier to weld up.

I wouldn't (and didn't) do that. Considering the weight of the plenum, over the years, the pounding could work at the welds. None of my welds at the tubes carry any weight. I ran my tubes the full 1" depth (into the flange), beveled them, and welded them on the mating surface (fly cut afterwards). This way the flange carries the weight and the welds only 'keep it together'.

In other words, at the time of this picture, there wasn't a single weld, but you could stand on the outboard flange...

Intake1Medium-2.jpg

I also had this idea for the top bolt holes. Let me know what you guys think. I'm not a machinist, so I'm not sure which design is more efficient (cheaper) to machine.

l28flange3fy0.jpg

The above picture is what my original drawings reflected (regarding the bolt bosses). While it is more attractive, I feel that method would allow more deformity to develop in the gasket. I'm of the opinion you'll get a more consistent seal with your original, 'flush' bosses.

• Administrators

Something I noticed as well. Rons manifold port diameter is 1.5”, which is a nice increase in cross sectional area over OE, thus requiring port matching. Being as Ron also biased his ports upward, effectively creating a larger centerline radius in the port, (the floor of the manifold port lines up with floor of the port in the head), all material that is removed from the head when port matching is taken from the roof of the port.

A port diameter of 1.75” is great for super high strung L-series engines, but getting the ports in the cylinder head to that size is going to require sonic testing of the port walls themselves during the porting process, especially if the port is biased “upward” like Ron did. There will be an issue of hitting the water jacket when port matching out to 1.75”.

Here is how the 1.5” port lines up to the head currently

Mis-match1Small.jpg

Mis-match2Medium.jpg

I still need to properly place the injector ports. I'm thinking I might actually have the runners machined for injector ports. Then weld in some injector ports that are machined up on a lathe. This would allow a smaller angle between the injectors and the runner, which should promote better atomization. I'll work on that idea a bit more tomorrow.

Couple More Pictures:

l28manifoldwv3.jpg

l28manifold1rs0.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Justin, I'm watching your progress with special interest. I'm just in the middle of converting from triple webers to megasquirt using a stock FI manifold. It pains me to put the stock manifold on as I can see how much smaller the runners are than what I'm taking off. I'm really hoping I'm not going to loose too much top end. I keep seeing plenty of others with similar NA setups to mine getting good power (~175 rwhp) using the stock manifold, so hoping I'll see the same. But deep down inside, I have a feeling I'll be looking for a better intake by next summer. Perhaps you'll have a solution for me? :)

Justin,

I'll take one when you're ready!

I'd like to discuss it further with you. Would you mind calling me at 321-454-4971? my email address is also ken280z@gmail.com

I'd like to discuss 2 other manifolds one for my superchargerd L-Series and another for a vk56 Nissan Titan V8 motor.

Regards

Ken

Well, one thing at a time for me. I'm going to get this design finalized then I can move on to others. I'm at work right now and am not suppose to be on here, so I'll post some updates tonight when I get off work.

Regards,

Justin

Justin,

Sounds good... I'd like one of the current manifolds you're making for my turbo motor

The other manifolds that I mentioned are things I'd like to discuss as something later on... There's probably a fair amount of demand for a replacement manifold for the VK56DE... the current design was done to maximize torque and the runners are 22 inches long! The height of the stock VK56 manifold is also an issue and could easily be re-designed so it could be used in more applications (like a 240Z and others like a Pathfinder etc)

Ken

I am also interested in this manifold in the near future, I am planning a moderate NA build and was contemplating ITBs, but this looks like most of the benefits at a (hopefully) lower cost.

Anyways, I just want to encourage you in your development, we all appreciate the hard work you are putting in on this!

Played with the model a bit on my lunch break. I need to change the angle of the injector ports, but I like how this design looks. I'm going to have to talk to the machinist to see if he can make the runners and injector ports so I can easily weld it up.

l28manifold2ov6.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Justin,

Hey...

I thought I saw somewhere in this post where you needed the tooling for doing the injector ports... Ross Machine Racing has a lot of cool stuff including some pre-made velocity stacks... the link to the injector bit is here:

http://rossmachineracing.com/injectortool11mm.html they also have a 14mm size as well...

Also, please give me a call when you have a minute

Ken

321-454-4971

Thanks for the link. I have some of those ross machining injector bungs. The machinist I use can produce those for me. The major hurdle will be machining the injector ports to lay on top of the runners like the above pictures. I'm going to give the machinist a call tomorrow about this.

I'll give you a call tomorrow as I'm very busy with work today.

Best Regards,

Justin Olson

• Administrators
Played with the model a bit on my lunch break. I need to change the angle of the injector ports, but I like how this design looks. I'm going to have to talk to the machinist to see if he can make the runners and injector ports so I can easily weld it up.

l28manifold2ov6.jpg

Regards,

Justin

Justin,

Your solids works looks pretty good thus far.

The angle of the OE injector port is 54 degree off the head/manifold mounting flange, (see pic below). The injector is aligned directly with the intake valve which is offset in the opening of the port itself, (port is cast off center from the intake valve). Also, you will want to keep the length of the injector bosses short so the fuel is able to spray into the port and not against the interior walls of the injector boss.

I used to individually bore the injector ports in the fuel rails and manifolds for O-ring style injectors with a boring bore, (several step operation). Talk about time consuming. We recently purchased the 14mm injector cutting tool pictured below and it sped up that process considerably with comparable quality.

14mm.jpg

For what it’s worth, Nissan placed and angled the injectors such that they spray directly at the back side of the intake valve when it is on the seat. The picture below is through an OE injector boss looking at the base of an intake valve with the OE manifold bolted to an N-42 head with an intake valve just off its seat to allow a little light in for the picture.

You know, I still have that intake manifold for you to use for reference. I might even be persuaded to let you use a bare head with an intake valve as well if that helps?...

InjanglMedium1.jpg

InjbossCustom1.jpg

The height of the stock VK56 manifold is also an issue and could easily be re-designed so it could be used in more applications (like a 240Z ...)

Yes, yes it could.... Maybe a dual plenum lowrise crossram design using Z32 T/B's...

LOL

Where have I heard that before, Ken? LOL

I worked on the injector bungs a bit. The idea is to making fuel rail standoffs built into the plenum base. I'll work on the fuel rail and mounting tabs later today.

Paul do you think the gain in atomization by moving the injectors back on the runner will be worth while?

l28manifold3yd4.jpg