HybridZ

T-5????

alexideways

The case is most familiar to a Ford and it uses a Ford compatible shifter. The output shaft is a goofy 27 spline with 1.5" diameter seal. The gear ratio is the same as an SVO Mustang but the input is Nissan clutch spline sized.

Can parts be swapped from one T5 to the other, ex.: take the input 24 spline shaft from the datsun and install it into an let's say svo tranny????

EDIT: I just got told by PM by an other member that the Datsun output shaft is not 27 splines but really 26 and ford`s is 28.

Yes. I just got back from the bookstore with a book on modding manual trans. It has a bunch of info on the T5. You can swap internals as long as they are the same type of trans (world class or non-world class) and extension housings as long as they are the same type (synchro or non-synchro 5th gear) Turns out their are only two cases, the GM and the Ford. The Ford case is pretty much used in everything else, including some of the GM's! Jeep, Nissan, Isuzu, and GM F-bodies 93 and up all use the Ford case. I'm going to compare input shaft specs on the Ford vs. the Nissan. Seems to me you can buy a brand new Ford Motorsport tranny and reasonably easily adapt it to an L series motor by using a Ford spec clutch disc of appropriate diameter. This would also let you use a much more common rear yoke with 1310 u-joint compared to the 1.5" diameter unique Nissan setup. Will let you know.

• Like 1

I believe the tailhousing is quite different on the ford to allow for the larger diameter outut shaft, this might only be the wc models but if your looking for an upgrade anything short of the wc would be a lateral move based on the info given here

I believe the tailhousing is quite different on the ford to allow for the larger diameter outut shaft, this might only be the wc models but if your looking for an upgrade anything short of the wc would be a lateral move based on the info given here

He is how we modded the tailshaft housing to fit the gForce T5 output shaft:

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

The Datsun tailhousing and bellhousing both bolt right up to the Ford WC gearcase, btw.

• Like 1

The Datsun tailhousing and bellhousing both bolt right up to the Ford WC gearcase, btw.

Does this mean that I can use the ford tranny if I' use an ford clutch disc or would I then need to have an flywheel and pressure plate custum made? Then again, i gues i should just go search for the poste on your build?

P.S.: what car does the WC tranny comes out of???

Did the Nissan cast iron front bearing retainer work as well? Good info, thanks for the pics!

No - too small. at least for the gForce. I used a McLeod Hydraulic bearing.

On Alex's question, most custom clutch places can make you a clutch disc with the right spline patten. Clutch Specialties changed mine out for ~$35.

• 4 years later...

He is how we modded the tailshaft housing to fit the gForce T5 output shaft:

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

Bumping this since somebody was asking about the T5 tailshaft housing, and the pic links in this thread were out of date. I've updated the links in this post so the pics will work again.

Bumping this since somebody was asking about the T5 tailshaft housing, and the pic links in this thread were out of date. I've updated the links in this post so the pics will work again.

Awesome!

One more question... Is the transmission installed straight up in the Nissan version? Is the shifter is on the same horizontal plane as the transmission mount? Unlike the gm and ford versions.

Thank You!

Awesome!

One more question... Is the transmission installed straight up in the Nissan version? Is the shifter is on the same horizontal plane as the transmission mount? Unlike the gm and ford versions.

Thank You!

If I'm reading your question correctly, the shifter is behind the transmission mount - here's a pic:

trans1.jpg

As I recall, the shifter comes out within ~3/4" of where it is longitudinally on the non-T5 Datsun trans. However, it does come out significantly higher in the trans tunnel than the non T5 trans' shifter does. The result of this is that you can't rely an an angled-back shifter to ge to the stock shifter hole location. So the shifter still ends up farther forward than the stock shifter hole - I had to modify the center console a bit - here's how it came out, it still clears the fold-out front panel on th stereo, but not by much:

defi1.jpg

Here is a picture of a ford tailhousing:

IMG_20101117_154534.jpg

See how the mounting surface of the shifter and the trans mount are not parallel to each other? Is this the same on the Nissan tailhousing, or is it parallel?

This picture looks as though the two surfaces are parallel to each other:

tail2.jpg

I just don't want to go buy a good T5 for a tailhousing if I am going to be right where I am now with an Fbody canted mount.

Thank you for the wealth of info so far!

Edited by Pzary3233

Here is a picture of a ford tailhousing:

IMG_20101117_154534.jpg

See how the mounting surface of the shifter and the trans mount are not parallel to each other? Is this the same on the Nissan tailhousing, or is it parallel?

This picture looks as though the two surfaces are parallel to each other:

tail2.jpg

I just don't want to go buy a good T5 for a tailhousing if I am going to be right where I am now with an Fbody canted mount.

Thank you for the wealth of info so far!

Now I understand - yes, the shifter is parallel, not canted like the Ford one in your pic. I didn't check to see if the Datsun shifter was exactly parallel, but It's definitely much closer than the Ford - I think I would have noticed that :mrgreen:

The top of the shifter housing is on a plane that is parallel to the top cover of the gearcase, and also the top flat on the front of the bellhousing:

trans1.jpg

Edited by TimZ