HybridZ

LS1 Conversion

Guest Anonymous

Lone - Ford has the same problem. Not only do they have the older 5.0 stuff darn near falling out of trees but they have both a 2valve and 4valve "newer" motor. The 4valve by FAR has more power potential but almost no one is developing many hard parts for the 4valve motor even though it's been around since 96. It seems that there aren't enough of them for many shops to jump on the bandwagon and working on them is no picnic for the average shade tree guy. Ford only just now ceased production of the 5.0 blocks for OEM usage but I'm betting we'll see 5.0 parts developed for a VERY long time to come.

As for th eLS1 - when it's more common, all of th equirks for installing are well documented, and when it makes fiscal sense to build HP as compared to the older motors - hey I'll jump on the bandwagon now. However my current plan is to build something that I can drive somewhat quickly - that means a carb to start with, followed by EFI, followed possibly by a blower. It's just an easier path to 400+ HP than with an LS1 right now. If someone else has the patience then by all means build it, document it (please!) and I'll be much more inclined to do it next time.

BTW - how do you tell a pioneer apart from the rest of the troops? He's the one with the arrows in his backside smile.gif Lead on McDuff!

Guest Anonymous

Here's a 94ish LT1 for about $1k. All accessories, computer, etc. Seems like a decent deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=562600355&r=0&t=0

LT4 vs LT1: All I know is the LT4 and the Corvette LT1s have aluminum heads, whereas the camaro/firebird lt1s had iron.

Yes, the LS1 is aluminum block and heads.

The LT4 and Corvette LT1 produced more power than the other LT1s. I think the Vette LT1 is around 305hp (This is what I have) and the iron head LT1s are around 275 or 280...?

Not sure what the LT4 puts out.

i have an lti in the garage i put into a 66 nova for a friend.it is not running yet.if you do a lt1 swap get the factory manual from helm to do the wiring if you use oem harness.the harness is massive and if you dont get everything hooked up you will get trouble codes.if you have a obd2 car you will probably need a non obd2 computor.obd2 cars have o2 sensors every where to check cat failure.plus fuel tank pressure sensors.if i was to do an install in my own car with a t56 i would use a sds connected to the gm sensors already on motor.for the price of some harnesses plus a little more you could have less wiring and on the fly programming.

LT4 vs LT1: All I know is the LT4 and the Corvette LT1s have aluminum heads, whereas the camaro/firebird lt1s had iron.

This is not correct. The Camaro and Firebird LT1 engines had aluminum heads as well. Smaller diameter intake and exhaust valves were the major differences between the two heads. Don't quote me on this but I believe the Caprice and Impala LT1's had the iron heads and produced approx. 265HP. The aluminum version produced a very conservative 285hp. The Corvette LT1 produced 300HP because of a modified exhaust and a tweaked ECM.

Danno74Z

Randy - for an LT1 I'd not use the SDS, I'd use the OEM computer fo the "proper year" and the LT1 Edit software. Look that sucker up, it's awesome! I can get it for our Impalla SS but the woman is more concerned with MPG these days than added performance. I'm still VERY tempted to get an interface cable and look at some of the datalogging stuff to see if there are any codes or if the knock sensor is doing anything. MPG since we bought it has dropped from 17-18 to 14 or so, I think oxygenated gas has something to do with this though. It's pretty hard to beat the OEM computer and if you can reprogram it starting with the stock maps as a baseline you're WAY ahead of things on the driveability curve. Trust me on that...

Now then - Impalla and Caprice motors are indeed iron head. I THOUGHT they were 285 horse but I may be confusing that with the Camaro motors. For a HEAVY car that only has 265-285 horse these puppies flat out haul a$$. Torque galore, I can light up the Impalla's wheels from a stop at will and the woman has done it a few times accidently. I can't wait to get the Z running with half the weight and nearly 1.5 times the power smile.gif

Danno, you are correct sir. I have a 97 Trns Am that is rated at 285hp. After my search for a motor to replace the blown LT1 in this car I discoverd that many of the salvage yards are trying to get top dollar for the

caprice/roadmaster/impalla LT1's. One must be carfull when searching for an LT1 not to get the differnt ones confused. I had a guy tell me he had 3 lt1's. 1 from a 96 one from a 97 and one from a 98. he claimed that the 96-97 were from impallas and the 98 from a trans am.. Well the LT1 went out of production in 97 so the 98 he was claiming to have either had to be an LS1 or he had the year of the car wrong. The 96 was the

last year for the iron headed impallas.

end result was that he only had a 96 caprice

LT1 iron headed car.

Be careful if you buy one because the computer/transmission from a caprice is

different than the Lt1 T/A's and camaros.

I doubt one wants to have a high performance Z car that shifts like grannys Buick Roadmaster!

Myron