HybridZ

LS1 Conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is my first post despite the fact that I have been reading this board for a while. I'm sure I'm younger than pretty much everyone on this board (I'll be 19 in two weeks).

I was wondering has anyone done a LS1 conversion into a Z? I haven't heard of anyone doing one and I was what the downfalls would be.

as far as i know, nobody has done it yet. the only real difficulties i know of are the lack of a jtr manual for it and the different mounting bracket locations.

this is the swap i'm planning on doing, down the road, once i can afford it (and a car to do it in smile.gif)

The LS1 mounts should be the same as the LT1.

As mentioned in a post about the Lt1 fuel injection Mark mentioned that he used the JTR

mounts and had to make no mods... From what I know about the LT1 and the LS1 they sould bolt up the same

Guest Anonymous

hey cool, somebody my age is on the board. you've come to the right place this is definately one of the best forums i've seen in a long time.

as for the ls1 in my opinion it would be worth it. the only thing is you have to get a hold of one and they dont come cheap also on the down side is that since it is a "new" motor your going to have a hard time finding parts for it. you're basically going to have to buy everything new unless you know where a wrecked car with one is. oh and because of it being new i don't think (i could be wrong) that parts can be swapped in from any other sbc. but if you have one that runs i would say go for it, just IMHO. thought i would give you some food for thought

------------------

how was I to know that it would do that!..heh..cool...do it again!

Double check the motor mounts - I seem to recall that they MIGHT be different. Also, th eLS1 has a T56 that's specific to it, if that's the trans you want you'd probably want them as a pair. That's an OBDII (III?) motor and one of the new breed that throw fits if everything isn't there. This might cause problems unless you want to retrofit catalytic converters and things of that sort.

Since I've seen at least one of these in a Street Rod type mag in an loder car perhaps some of these fears aren't correct. I'd certainly say that you should research this VERY thoroughly before spending any money. The Street Rod folks would probably be your best bet.

Lastly, other than the "Wow" factor - why an LS1? It's not the easiest road and I'm not sure it's actually got any big advantages over an LT1 swap to be honest. Not trying to discourage you but that's worth considering...

several extra miles per gallon, and more power from a mild setup... to me, those are advantages!

i've seen people reporting up to 37mpg in a c5 on a highway only trip. not bad for 3200lbs and 350hp!

Guest Daddyrick

I am currently working on a LS1 swap, actually the LS6, and find that the engine mounts on the engine are not in the same relationship as a regular sbc. The front of the engine on the LS1 will be about 1 inch less set back than the regular sbc. However the difference in weight should not affect much the front to rear weight ratio. I have not finalized my set up, but do have pictures of the engine sitting in what I hope is the best position. Will get these on the web soon. I am still months away from finishing the project due to my work schedule. I think this will be a relatively common swap in a few months. Hidden rust is curtailing my drive train work. I didn't realize there were so many places rust could hide on my 280z.

if you wanted to ditch the obd 2 computor & oem car harness gm performance has a off road ecm & harness.part #12480054 ecm-12480055 for harness.the lsi is the only motor used in asa stock cars.the ecm part # is for the asa calibrated ecm.this would make install simple and get rid of anti-theft in original ecm.the asa confiscates the ecm after races and then shuffles the around to make sure cars are the same and there is no maybes like f1 traction control question in mcclaren.

I am doing the lt1 swap and all this computer/ecm/obdIII/sensors this and that...

I have a factory harness and computer and

LT1 from a 97 Trans am.. Do I need to scrap the computer and harness and just go with an aftermarket unit?.. I contacted TPIS and

they told me that i should just get the

factory unit reprogrammed and that it was well capable of running some big power #'s

Myron

Myron, maybe consider using an older computer and going with the LT1Edit software?

As for mileage and power on the LS1s - 37?! Hrm, I wonder how it's making that much more power and mileage over the LT1. Could the LT1 be tuned to make that much power? What exactly makes the LS1 so superior other than lighter weight? Actually while we're at it - what's different in the LT4 too smile.gif While a few MPG might be nice it's harder to swap, harder to find, more expensive, and less is known about this motor.

I'll applaud like mad when folks swap them in and document the heck out of it but for the added hassle I'm not sure it's something I'd want. If this is a first time swap for someone - would you really recommend it?

Daddyrick - shoot the pics my way if you need a quick place to post them. I'd LOVE to see them! smile.gif Please take lot's of pics ot help others...

Guest Anonymous

Hey Myron,

Stick with the factory stuff and get the GM manual. Make sure you hook up the part that you can read codes from. It will help in sorting out the buggs. I think there are some sites that you can down load soft ware to program the computer. I've got a 93 so I can just change chips to reprogram. Good luck with the OBDIII. I sure you can figure it out with the factory manual. Mark

Guest Locutus

BTW Pep boys sells the diagnostic scanner for OBD II, and all GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles made before 96. It will make tuning and diagnosing problems easier, but you still have to program the chips some other way.

Mike

I just read an article about a GM ASA Vortec 5700 (LS1). GM built 300 of these engines to run in the American Speed Association (ASA)stock car races. It's basically a stock LS1 with a different cam and springs, and a re-mapped EMC. It puts out 430 hp and 430 lb-ft with 93 octane gas. Apparently you can buy this hot cam and spring kit as well as the revised EMC and wiring loom out of the GM Performance Parts catalog. You need to specify this for ASA cars for manual swaps(T-56) or for the 4L60E.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

I also think that the LS1 has slightly larger valves than the LT1... 2.0 as opposed to 1.94 intake.. The new LS6 would be the real treat! 385/385 bone stock! it propels

the ZO6 vette to 60mph in like 4.5 sec and

1/4 in i think 12.66-13.0.. the computer

in the Zo6 is also said to be fast enough

to compensate for a 250 shot of DRY nos...

JM213,

I'm in the middle of reworking/updating the suspension of my 260Z. However, the engine going into the Z is a 95LT1 with 2,345 miles on it and a T56 tranny. Lots of differences between the LT1 and the LS1 engines and naturally the running battles on which is a better engine in the Camaro camps. In my opinion and if you can afford it go with the LS1 engine. Why would I say that since I'm using the LT1. Most performance shops probably have stopped developed high performance parts for the LT1 motor since it ended production in 97(I think) and are now focusing R&D efforts on the LS1. That's not to say you can't hop up a LT1 engine. I just think you will see a greater range of performance parts for the current production motor as time passes.

If you can't afford to go the LS1 route you can very easily turn a LT1 into a close approximation of a LT4 motor for about $2000. This conversion has been documented is several hot rod mag. and one can achieve 400hp from the LT1 without turning it into an unmanageable beast. Here is a link that compares both the LT1 and LT4 engines. http://www.tir.com/~steveher/lt4.html

For the time being I'm saying with my stock LT1 engine. In my case, I will use headers, dual exhausts, no cats, no air or PS pumps or EGR valve and a tweaked computer. With this setup, 300-350hp should be obtainable. That is a lot of HP for a 2600lb car. But that 400HP mark is sure enticing.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

I agree with most of that last post. One area I have a difference of opinion though is on the developement of parts. I think the LT1 and earlier SBC's will have parts developed and available for a LONG LONG time. Speed equipment is a business. You can't afford to develope parts away from the majority that buy them. The segment of LS1 parts at this time isn't that large compared to the older SBC's. Its sort of a Mac vs IBM clone PC issue. The SBC could be related to the PC clones, parts for days, backwards compatable and cheap. Chevy still sells crate motors that are of pre-LS1 construction and will continue to do so until the profit level drops off, same with the aftermarket.

No, I'm not a LS1 hater, its a great motor, and in 10 years or so when its cheap I'll have one, but I just wanted to voice my opinion on the aftermarket parts of the older and LT1 SBC's.

Lone

Lone,

I agree with you 110% on the original SB350, it was built for the last 35+ years and is still being built. My only point was (which was not clear) had to do with the LT1 engine only. It was built for only a 5 year period (92-97) so it stands to reason that performance parts for this specific engine will be limited compared to the LS1 which is currently in production or the SB350 as you mentioned. Now if GM kills the Camaro/Firebird which seems likely after 2002 then who knows what the aftermarket folks will do.

Danno74Z