HybridZ

my s30 drawings...

OlderThanMe

Back on topic...

b88696645.jpg

What do ya think?

Well, ACTUALLY the idea would look better IMO on a front end looking like this. This type of body would allow you to run the teeth along the front line of the hood (understated there, just to complete the all round image) and then wrap the teeth around the hole in the the "smiley" of the car.

Here is a quickie of a Z with a GT40 nose.

m58547550.jpg

Or this one.

I already explained to veritech that my idea was based on a one-piece fiberglass front end that my dad pieced together out of a damged front end with a stock-shaped valance area, and a damaged fiberglass air dam. The air dam is more of a perpendicular dam than a spook shaped "cow-catcher" style, and has had many of the curves removed from its face. Use the headlights as the "eyes" (maybe even do some sort of tracing, vinyl, or etch work on the acrylic.) The image in my head (I *think) may also be more of a bugs bunny style version of the plane, with less of a pronounced "corner" to the mouth that would be more conducive to being painted on the relatively D shaped side edge of the hole on a stockish Z.

I *really* hope my dad or my brother can come up with a photo of this front end; its very blunt and judging from what I have gleaned thus far from the aerodynamic threads, seems to be about as ideally shaped as is reasonable within my little box of what I like My Z to be shaped like.

I made these comments after having abandoned this thread for sleepytime a few weeks ago when I started reading it.. and I abandoned it just before veritech mentioned the plane (I can never remember what its called! and I have a head for WWII aircraft, shame on me!)

Now I am determined to try to draw some of this stuff on my own, but not now. And to think, I just threw away an old beer sign that would have made a perfect lightbox for tracing purposes... D'oh!

If only that face were from the japanese planes, and not the american ones!!

I don't recall ever seeing a Japanese plane with nose art from this era, are you familiar with some? I'd be interested to see it if there is such a thing.

As for the mouth surrounding the grill, I'm not thinking that would look as cool in practice as it does in imagination. I know from personal experience that certain things look so much better before they even get to the paper stage, and sometimes they even look ok on paper, but just can't cut it when you actually get them on the car. I suspect this is one of those ideas. We had a similar problem with Chewievette's initial ideas about a tiger stripe pattern. That sounds cool, but it's VERY hard to get that to look intimidating and not like something a sorority girl would get for a seat cover in actual practice.

I hear you.. and I was aware of all that. I was just saying my thoughts on the subject.. Lord knows they've run through my head about eight thousand times by now... :-D

Yeah... Just look at the ideas Max and I have sketched in this thread that neither of us will use in the forseeable future...

interesting design...Those front hood vents look familiar... :wink:

I think the side of the body is too busy. Maybe if your fender vents went all the way to the body creases it would make it look cleaner.

Those fender mirrors are pretty cool!

Work a little more on perspective by using a photo to make sure you are at a proper angle for everything. I usually take about 10-15 points from a picture like for the windshield and outline of the wheels to keep perspective a little better.

Looking better than when I started! I mean just look at my first wastes of paper...lol

Here's another drawing i did on the computer with MS paint program...just so i could play around with the colors and some mods! What do u guys think?

Looks more like a mustang then anything

BTW....... YOUR PAINT SKILLS > MY PAINT SKILLS :icon52:

olderthanme...you're right it looks pretty busy specially since it has no color on it so the lines brake up the side of the car pretty bad...i'll work on it a little more! thanks for the props! I agree i love the fender mirrors..it just looks better i think

I don't think there is anything wrong with the fender vents as envisioned by Jonas, but they would clean up a lot nicer if the top of the vent lined up with the upper character line, and the lower edge lined up with the rocker crease. As it's drawn in the MSPaint image, you'd have a lip on the top and bottom that would compete visually with the existing character lines, and that is the type of thing that makes people look at your car and think "rice" instead of "nice!"

I personally think that the hood is too busy, and that you should commit to either the front ducts, or the rear louvers, but using both is just 2 fast, 2 furious for my taste. It would be a shame if the hot air coming out of what I assume is the radiator ducting in the front of the hood just got sucked into the vents right after it. We know what those two types of vents do when taken individually, but when used in sequence like that, I wonder how they would interact?

I agree with Max on this one.

I like your fender vents but they just need to be a little bigger to match the body lines.

With front vents like that you don't really need to have many other vents from the engine bay because no air is getting into the engine bay except what you duct in there for an intercooler or to help cool a turbo etc...

Keep working hard and you will get it!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...