HybridZ

LT1 and Subaru Rack

If I were building a track car I would most likely not do it, I would say the weight is about the same just from memory of moving them around, I haven't weight them. I found it on Ebay , took awhile but they are out there.

As for why?

Well this Z is a project , I'm not going to race it , It's not my daily driver, It's a hobby , a challenge to learn things, basically I'm doing it to see if I can. I'm in no hurry to complete it and when I'm done I will have a sporty fun to drive summer car that I can say " I made it" .

here here!

• 1 month later...

Well the first impression is verry good, It feels like a modern car with power assist. but I have only driven it in first and second gear. its only been done a few days and tomarow is my alignment appt. also have some exhaust issues that will get fixed tomarow, while the car was down I built a new trans crossmember and the exhaust hits it.

after that is done I plan on doing some street miles (Oregon wether permiting) as I have to break in a new engine and clutch.

Tomarow I will try to get some more pics and put them in my album

It's a 99 Impreza rack, im reasonably sure they are the same, but I remember reading somewhere there where a few years of Impreza's that where different.

If someone knows what years these came on for both th Impreza and the Forester, that might be of some help to anyone checking for these in there local j-yard. I was lucky and found this right away for $100 and I knew the 99 worked from what I had read.

That is some beautiful work Viperredls1z! :2thumbs:

Please tell about the fittings you used! I never found any that I thought would work, that put my project on hold. :ugg:

Looking forward to your report after everything is operational

Did you powdercoat the crossmember?

Thanks 78

Im still looking for the correct fittings, for now all I did was cut the original lines and flair the ends to adapt to AN fittings.

Yes all that silver stuff is powder coated, Its called (near-chrome) not all powder coat shops will use it because it fades easy when exposed to sunlight. also they have to put clear over it because its soft.

LT1's from different chassis had different length dampner hubs and diameter dampners. IIRC an LT1 from an Fbody(camaro/firebird) has a 16mm shorter hub and a smaller diameter dampner than an LT1 from a Bbody(caprice/impala/roadmaster). I am not certain what the Ybodys(vettes) have. Iron headed Lt1's came from the b bodys. Aluminum headed LT1's were in the F and Y bodies. Ybodies had 4 bolt mains.

If you need to space it out a dampner you can get the B body hub. Then just space out the accessory bracket with spacers from Karl Ellwein.

http://www.ellweinengines.com/

in re-reading your post you noted that the dampner is 7.5" which is the same on my 94 impala. If you do have the F body setup then a set of spacers and some longer bolts could buy you another 16MM backward.

some interesting reading from the B body community concerning hub lengths:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011166#000000

http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004536#000006

http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004367

edit: http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001345

pay attention as there are a couple of different setups referenced above. some may be more applicable for your goals than others.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

no, i havnt gotten that far yet. i was just curious cause ive heard the ford racks have a twitchy feel to them w/ the gm type II pumps, cuase of excess pressure, or flow i should say... anyways, thanks for the heads up though. im just now fitting the rack, i still need to mock the engine in and check clearances, weld in the motormounts, etc...

• 1 month later...
Guest 280ZForce

can anybody give me an estimated price on doing this completed power steering conversion? trying to get a ballpark figure on costs to do it.

Thanks - Justin

Viper,

How much longer is the Suby rack?

I'm considering a PS install to keep my arms from getting to sore while Auto-Xing. I checked out Alsil's Mustang rack install but think it has major issues with bump steer.

Looking at the pictures of your rack it appears you moved the pickup point about 1/2" outward and 3/4" up. Is this correct?

Seems to me moving the pickup point up did more to eliminate bumpsteer than moving it outward and rather than shorten the LCA wouldn't you want to keep the negative camber you gained?

Just curious?

Wheelman

The Suby rack is about an inch longer than stock overall. I tried to line up the LCA pivot point with the tie rod pivot (with wheels straight). That point is about 1" up and .5" out. I had just enough adjustment with the AZC lower controll arms to make it work. I have camber plates up top so camber adjustment wasn't a problem. I never tried this setup with stock LCA's in stock location, but I would expect bump steer issues.

If people are having problems with the ford rack it may be that they are not addressing this problem by moving the pickup points of the LCA.

It would be interesting to compare overall length of the mustang rack to the Subaru, and to a stock rack.

If someone could measure a Mustang rack, I will measure the Subie and a stocker. (tie rod pivot to tie rod pivot)

Dave.