HybridZ

CNC'd LSD clutches

Phyxius

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is strange, the rear end that only spun one wheel the other night at the track is now spinning both when you lift the car up and turn the rear wheel. Both spin forward?

I pulled the other parts together from my other broken rear end and it appears the friction disc..has the small, very small inner ears and the clutches have all the outer ears.

Am I missing something here? What then is broken.

Mike

Jacking the car up and spinning the wheel is not a good test.

If your other LSD has all the tabs on the clutches then I'd suggest you shim it tighter, or get the extra clutch disks or both. Having 3 disks per side should make it more aggressive than just having one. What made you think that one was broken in the first place? Noises? Spinning one wheel?

I was just thinking I should mention that holding one wheel while turning the other would be a good way to test. Normally you can do this, but it takes a little effort. If you can hold one and turn the other easily that would tell you that you have a problem.

Thanks for the info Jon. I will get someone to help me check the rear end. It's hard to do by yourself. The first rear end that failed went by way of starting to do the one wheel wonder. When you lifted the rear of the car and spun one wheel the other turned in the opposite direction. It did not do that previously.

The clutches look a little worn but the ears are there. The friction plate tabs are there just not alot of tab length is left. I will try to post a picture or two.

Mike

if the full tab isn't there, chances are they are spinning around and that would cause it not to lock up. Is there any scoring on the part that the tabs fit into? If there is, it has definitely been spinning.

EDIT:

This is a picture of mine when I took them out. Completely useless:

lsdclutches.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, I've decided to send these to a laser cutter for the remainder of the clutches. It would be cost ineffective to do them on the mill as fast as the tools break. They will be made of 440C Stainless which I've found is superior in wear resistance to what I made mine of. The material costs a little more, but it should be offset by not having to pay for tools.

I think I will post in the group buy section to see if anyone else would like some. The more that are ordered, the lower the cost will be.

It will take 5-6 weeks for the laser cutter to do it.

What do you guys think of paying half now and half upon shipment?

EDIT: I meant to say that they will be in the neighborhood of $16-$19 per.

I laser cut flat stock stainless steel for a living at my job, and although we don't work in the automotive industry (Marine industry, mostly) I could definitely cut these if someone were to send me a CAD file, or give me a dimensioned drawing.

I would, however, need to know how many and what size they are for nesting purposes and cost. Let me know if I can be of any help

I laser cut flat stock stainless steel for a living at my job' date=' and although we don't work in the automotive industry (Marine industry, mostly) I could definitely cut these if someone were to send me a CAD file, or give me a dimensioned drawing.

I would, however, need to know how many and what size they are for nesting purposes and cost. Let me know if I can be of any help[/quote']

you will soon have a PM

Yes, I am sorry but was out of the loop for awhile do to work/family. I have not really messed with my car this last month. It's so damn hot in Dallas, Tx. Been 100 plus every day.

I have looked at the clutches and friction discs. It appears that the friction discs are all fragged. Do you have any plans to make a replica of the friction discs and if so what kind of costs are we looking at.

Would I be better off adding more friction discs? I wish I knew more about these rear diffs. I have the one torn down and the clutches are for the most part ok, some more worn than others.

Friction discs are like the ones you posted pic's of. They have no ears left to say the least. I probably could use more clutches as people have said to add more clutches but also need discs.

PM me with any info and prices you can provide. I have cash on hand.

Thanks,

Mike

The 300ZXT has 2 spring disks, 3 friction disks, and only one clutch disk. They then fill up the stack with a 3.25mm washer. The thing that makes the most sense from a strength and lockup perspective is to have disc/plate/disc/plate/disc/plate, with the two springs on the outside of each stack. So making friction plates makes sense if yours are worn out, but for people just trying to beef up the 300ZXT the sensible thing to do is to add two more disks and leave not add any more plates.