HybridZ

Struck by lightening

bjhines

flaring/beading makes a 3 dimensional piece out of a 2 dimensional sheet... depending on how you do it you can add considerable strength....

I have really been hoping that someone would chime in with a good web reference on this topic... I found very little on the subject as it pertains to the materials I am woring with...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I would put in a few more pics to keep the post on track....

light weight gussets and punched/ plugged frame clading...

framerailgussetscomplete.jpg

Punched front support...

punchedflangedradiatorsupport.jpg

removed lower late style bumper mount and weld nuts.... the eary style still exists... for whatever reason....

bumpermountremovaloutside.jpg

bumbermountremovalinside.jpg

The article in SCC was pretty awesome. If you notice, however, the lightening holes were drilled ONLY in places (such as bumper mounts, dash mounts,etc.)that didn't affect the strength of the car, plus it had a cage. (the S2000)

The 350Z was ordered to be as strong as possible without using a cage.

So, the builder bought new OEM frame sections and other body sections, swiss-cheesed them, trimmed them suitably, then welded them ON TOP of the existing unibody. Nowhere did they drill structural components.

they did plenty of drilling in structural components.. they made the comment the anything fore and aft of the strut towers was drilled full of holes...

Here are some pics of the Opera S200 build.. found it on the S2K forums...

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126013

BEFORE...

operabefore.jpg

after... look carefully at the front lower frame rails.. they are chock full of 2.5" holes... they were covered with tape and then coated with primer... you can still see the holes though.. the magazine pics had a view of the rails without tape over them... shot full of holes I tell you... bigguunnns

operalightening.jpg

operadoor.jpg

operagussets.jpg

operafront.jpg

operastitch.jpg