HybridZ

scarab mounts

Guest onewickeddatsun

Guest onewickeddatsun

i juss got me some scarab mounts or at least i think so...well does it set the engine more forward because it mounts where the stock 350 motor mounts go?? please can anybody help me...

i juss got me some scarab mounts or at least i think so...well does it set the engine more forward because it mounts where the stock 350 motor mounts go?? please can anybody help me...

The motor mounts and the crossmember towers are essentially in-line. The JTR setup uses setback plates to put the motor back against the firewall.

If you really want help, put some pictures up for us to see.

Davy

Guest onewickeddatsun

So..basically i have the motor in but not bolted down...just incase of few adjustments...does it look correct to u guys?

passengerside

passengersidemount.jpg

driversidedriversidemount.jpg

trannytrannymount.jpg

My question is would are these mounts better? and worth taking evertyhing out juss to put those in?

"these are the mount the guy said where scarab"scarabmount.jpg

The first 3 pics appear to be JTR parts (walks away from computer to look at original Scarab in garage...)

Yes the last pic appears to be a "Scarab" mount. Now, do you have the remainder of the kit?

Sorry didn't see your question "are these better?". IMO no, owning both an original Scarab (#154 a 1971 240Z) and a JTR converted 240Z, I'd stick with the JTR mounts.

Again do you have the entire Scarab "kit"?

Again do you have the entire Scarab "kit"?

I agree. I'm about to swap my old Gen 1/truck 5 speed setup for an LT1/4L60E and will be going with JTR.

You aked if he has the entire Scarab "kit", what exactly is the entire "kit"? I bought my car already built, (mistake) so I don' know what parts it was built with. The mounts do look like the ones in the Scarab pict.

Both JTR and the hooker/scarab adapter kits use the same mounting location on the block, as well as the same chevy truck style mounts. The JTR kits has setback plates, as you noted with the pics/etc, whereas the hooker/scarab kit mount the engine farther forward than JTR. If you have a '70 or '71 car (might be '72, as well... depends on the transmission crossmember that's used), the hooker/scarab mounts do set the engine back slightly. For '72 and later, the mounts actually set the engine slightly forward. I had the hooker/scarab kit on my '73 and switched to the JTR setback adapters. The number 1 spark plug was about in line with the strut tower.

I won't be using hooker/scarab mounts again, but I have a friend that has them in two of his cars and has had no issue/complaints. I just prefer the setback position. It takes a little more work to install with JTR, but I think the benefits are worth it.

There are pics in my album linked in my signature showing how my 377 looked with the hooker kit. Pic 11 shows how far an HEI will sit from the firewall. Pics 208 and 218 kind of give an idea how far back it goes with JTR.

Guest onewickeddatsun

i have only the tow mounts and a tranny mount..the guy gave me two tranny mounts....i dont have the tranny crossmember if that was suppose to be included....but i bought a driveshaft from the guy and he threw in those scarab mounts a coverette radiator..couple steel braided lines...all for $100...

• 11 years later...