HybridZ

another 7m swap

materchan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a nice looking weld' date=' the 7m is a fanstastic engine ive always liked this swap, what car did the 7m originally go in?

on another note: Calc3 eh? I hope you are becoming an engineer or something like that otherwise it might be a little overkill...good luck nonetheless.[/quote']

It originally went into a supra

• 2 weeks later...

^ USA bound mark 3 to be precise. Very plentiful cars. You can find a mark 3 turbo in GOOD shape for under 3k around here in CA. I'd imagine it should be hard finding a roller with a decent motor for under 1k to serve as a donor car.

My JDM engine (they came in some sedans in japan) was $900 and then bought a 5 speed locally for $200. This didn't include a wiring harness though, but did include all sensors and fuel injectors. The engine was so clean in and out from low miles, which I think makes it worth going with a JDM engine. You'll want to find at least the front half of a drive shaft. MKIII Supras had a 2 piece drive shaft.

i got around to adapting my manifold's t4 to my turbo's t3 exahust flange. i was worried about welding mild steel to stainless, but it wasnt hard at all. started a little of the wiring and installed a few other things.

turboon.jpg

turboonfront.jpg

turbofont.jpg

one question for those who have done this swap, how did the alternator wires hook up? i have a t plug on the z harness, a 12v on the harness and a ground. the supra alt. has a 12v and a three prong plug. wiring harnesses diagrams make my head spin so help me out here.

alternatoron.jpg

So how strong are the 5spd toyota transmissions? I'm looking at doing a 2jzgte swap' date=' but can't find a 6spd to save myself. I want a good manual trans for fairly big powered streetcar.

Regards,

Justin[/quote']

Pretty strong. A few guys are making 600-700 rwtq with them. One company makes V8 to R154 bellhousings. The thrust washer is the weak link in them. You can bang gears and break it with 400 ft/lbs. Don't know iof you know but you'll need an 1jz bellhousing to use the R154 on a 2J.

So how strong are the 5spd toyota transmissions? I'm looking at doing a 2jzgte swap' date=' but can't find a 6spd to save myself. I want a good manual trans for fairly big powered streetcar.

Regards,

Justin[/quote']

depends on how you drive it. the v160 is great.. but ive seen plenty of them break too.. plus they cost a ton and you'd have to mod the shifter linkage. plus the slip yoke driveshaft.

r154's are great. much cheaper to buy.. sometimes people just toss them, i had 2 extra ones up through last week. i may come across more. clifton is right, they use them a lot in rock crawlers in europe and aust. several companies makes sbc to r154 adapters because they take that much abuse. but just like any tranny.. it can only take so much if your really beating it up.

updates: welding aluminum sucks ass.

hey Prox. as you can tell i've been busy. yeah i got the hy off ebay a little while ago, thinking when i build my l28 for this car i can use it, and when i went with the 7m i just kept it. it's a little on the small side for a 7m from what i've heard, but i can get a hx35 or hx40 if im feeling saucy. so whats up with you, how much power do you think you are putting to the wheels?

What clutch do you use with a 2jzgte engine and flywheel when using the R154 with 1jzgte bellhousing? Eventually I'll go TH400 in the car' date=' but want to stay manual until its unreliable.

Justin[/quote']

2jz clutch, 1jz flywheel. buy a 1j flywheel off ebay, get a lightened one, they show up every so often, or pick one up from one of the several guys at SF.

im thinking of where to run the downpipe and i am thinking of cutting a hole below the battery box and have the pipe dump right behind the wheel. if i ran it below the framerail there would only be like 1.5" of ground clearance. naturally i have to watch out for the wiring harness and probably should have some heat sheilding there. any comments on this idea?