HybridZ

Overheating problems/symptoms

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, but what car's did the 22R come in turbo'ed?

It's a ZX yes, but the biggest hinderence to working on the engine is the hood. I can pull the hood and bumped under 2 minutes. I've gotten pretty good at it.

The reason I mention straight edge is that a ruler can be out of square as well. If you want to check if it's REALLY level a straight edge is the best tool to use. (although you can also put the head on and use a feeler quage to check for low/high spots as well.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/22r_tech_notes.htm

Turbo models appeared briefly as the 22RTE in 1985-1988 on Pick-up and 4Runners. The 22RE Fuel injection models appeared in 1983, on some Celica and Pick-up models
How cool would you be with one of those? Talk about a swap with a WTF?! value that's off the charts! nobody even knows those engines came turbo...

Yea, the hard part would be finding one of the turbo motors. I found the same link when I searched so I read everything I could find on that site. They seems to know a thing or two ;)

It sounds like a cool swap, other than it seems they're kinda limited. But I can still be happy with 300hp :D

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for not knowing what motor comes in the ZX but if it is an L series motor the cause of the problem may be a pin hole in the waterpump housing/timing cover. I've had it happen twice with almost the same sequence of events described. I ended up replacing the timing cover when I compared mine with another and saw how much metal had corroded away.

Regards

Wardie

R30 Skyline

Yes the ZX has an L series, the L28E to be exact.

I plan on swapping the motor out in the next couple of weeks if money issues work out right, when the time comes i'll check the timing cover now that you've mentioned it. I had a new water pump too but I'll check it out to be sure.