HybridZ

ZX Rear Brake Conversion - E-Brake interference

Guest Zedhead

Guest Zedhead

I have a '72 that I am doing a coil over and '82 280ZX disc brake conversion on. I am using the Maxim bracket which places the caliper in the forward most position on the brake disk. While test fitting I found the E-brake cable will interfer with the brake line. There is a tab welded to the frame that supports the connection between the braided steel line and the brake line on the frame. The E-brake will crash into this when the strut is collapsed. I assume I need to move this tab.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to relocate this tab? Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

Thanks,

Zed

bracket1_thumb.JPG

ebrakebot_thumb.JPG

ebraketop_thumb.JPG

Using almost the same setup I relocated the bracket to the bottom side of the rear frame rail, if you want to call it that, just in front of the strut.

The only difference in my set up is that I modified a '88 Maxima bracket to duplicate the '84 with a 15mm offset. PM me for pics.

Guest Zedhead

Spotfitz,

Yes, I would love to see some pics. You are saying you relocated the tab for the brake lines to the bottom side of the frame rail?

Where did your caliper end up? It looks like the caliper would like to ride in the 7:30 position. This is looking at the drivers side rear wheel with 12:00 straight up and 9:00 where the Maxim bracket looks like it wants to put the caliper.

OK, here we go. I'll have to pull these down in acouple weeks due to the size and lack of time to down size them.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8314&cat=500&ppuser=7958

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8312&cat=500&ppuser=7958

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8313&cat=500&ppuser=7958

Remove the old bracket from the body. Remove the hard line from the strut bracket to the stub axle bracket. Remove stub axle bracket and relocate it to the body. The flex line will now come from that relocated bracket on the body directly to the caliper. I ran like that for about a year before paint jail acouple years ago, with no problems or rubbing except for a slight clearancing I had to do where the emergency brake lever on the caliper came in contact with the body. See first pic.

Guest Zedhead

Spotfitz,

Far out. I test fit with your tab location and it looks like the way to go. Thanks,

Did you weld the bracket back into place? I am afraid I'd burn a hole in my gas tank and burn the house down.

Cheers

• 10 years later...