HybridZ

How to mount them there ZG Flares

240hoke

Well john even still I went out and measured my car, and 6" would make the car into a off road machine. In fact 6" up in the front is to the top of the fender. I would believe 4 but thats about it. I cut mine up rougly 2.5-3". If you mounted them 3" higher then mine... more power to ya ;)

Zowner - They are Classic Datsun flares. Those guys are great to work with, I wouldnt order from anybody else.

If you look in the wheel well you'll see where the inner sheetmetal is horizontal. I cut the outer so that the inner comes out horizontally and meets the out fender. I don't cut the fonts up 6". I'll post some pictures of what I did recently.

Here's the 1/4 panel and wheel before I started cutting. Looking at the marked lines again I probably only cut up between 4.5 and 5", not the 6" I stated above. Sorry about the confusion.

RearWheelFit-1.jpg

RearFlares-1.jpg

RearFlares-4.jpg

And here's what it looked like after and this measurement is probably why 6" was stuck in my head. I wanted to get at least 6" of total wheel travel.

RearWheelTravel.jpg

The 1/4 panels on this car were pretty rough so it was hard to get a nice looking opening, but once the body shop gets things straightened up I can install the flares and cover up things. Plus, its a race car...

RearWheelWell-3.jpg

Sounds like the thing to do is pull a spring off and compress the suspension and see if you hit the bumpstop or the tire first. If the tire hits then you can decide whether you want to put taller bumpstops in or cut the arches again.

Notice the lack of springs on the struts in the photos? :) Unfortunately the first time I tried lifting the tire up into the cut wheel well the Koni 8611 compression damping was on max firm. Fixed that real quick!

Thanks for the pictures.. this should be a good thread when its done with. YOu did cut away a good amount of meat, Ill have to do the spring thing and see what im looking at. I will say I like the way the inner fender worked out, definitly a good way of doing it.

At any rate for those of you interested in ZG install kits I will have a few ready to ship out monday, pm me if you are interested.

Damn it the fenders are perfect on my z and I hate to cut them up and put flares on, but damn every time I see a zg flared car makes me say screw it.

Nice write up hoke!

Your car looks sick! What size/offset/brand wheels are you running and what size tires?

Best thing to do would be to glue/fiberglass them to the to body to smoooth them out.

I actually am planning on doing this when I repaint the car, but I wanted wider wheels now and it will be a while before I repaint. I am really stoked with the way it turned out so who knows I might leave them be.

Has anyone smoothed the ZG;s once installed to hide the recesses for the bolts? I like the ZG flares, but would like a sleeker look. I want to get away from the 4X4 flare look.

Why don't you just look at some different flare styles? The MSA Street flares are pretty similar to the ZG's in shape, a little bigger by the looks of them, and don't have the recesses for the bolts. Also the MSA IMSA flares, or the Jim Cook Racing flares would work.

:icon45:

Why don't you just look at some different flare styles? The MSA Street flares are pretty similar to the ZG's in shape, a little bigger by the looks of them, and don't have the recesses for the bolts. Also the MSA IMSA flares, or the Jim Cook Racing flares would work.

MSA no longer makes the Street Flares

I'm pretty sure the rear flare on that car is on the wrong side. It looks like he's got the left one on the right side of the car. I made this mistake when I first mounted my ZG's!?

240hoke great contribution. Love the car. Z's just don't get much nicer than that!

347727%3B%3A6%7Ffp358%3Enu%3D3262%3E33%3B%3E9%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D3233997997474nu0mrj