HybridZ

How to mount them there ZG Flares

240hoke

• 4 months later...

Ok Done with my flares.. First off Austin is right.. this is not for the faint at heart lol. It did take me around 12-13 total hours and the rears are not fun. but the finished product looks SOOO GOOOD!!!

Before..

26938272135.jpg?1248625066

ZG flares

DSCN0684.jpg

the moch up..

DSCN0687.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

Time to start cutting

DSCN0690.jpg

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

And done!

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

i bought my flairs from msa, im about to mount them saturday so i have checked this post over and over again but i whould like to see a close up of the ZG mounted to see what bolting you all have use looks like a round head one with the square hole for a screw driver? any washers?

ps: if there was an answer on the post im realy sorry about reposting the question i didnt understood what you all use (im french) so a picture close up realy mean a 1000 words for me.

Many Thanks

=Matt=

• 3 weeks later...

i bought my flairs from msa, im about to mount them saturday so i have checked this post over and over again but i whould like to see a close up of the ZG mounted to see what bolting you all have use looks like a round head one with the square hole for a screw driver? any washers?

ps: if there was an answer on the post im realy sorry about reposting the question i didnt understood what you all use (im french) so a picture close up realy mean a 1000 words for me.

Many Thanks

=Matt=

here is what austin said from his very first post. he also sells the hardware kit and includes everything. Welting, bolts, nuts for the front, washers and nutserts for the rears.

Materials:

- 24 -Allen button head bolts (I used stainless 1/4")

- 24 -AN SS washers

- 12 - 1/4" Nut inserts

- 12 - SS 1/4" nuts washers and lock washers

- Rubber welting

- Stain black spray paint

- Seam sealer and undercoating

- 3M BLUE painters tape

Quick google search for the Allen button head bolts and these look exactly like the ones I got form autsin.

20096447960.jpg

I hope this info helped ya out..

• 3 months later...

I have a quick question. I have tried to find the answer but I might be missing it, or maybe it isn't there. When you guys are cutting the front, are you just leaving a bare, sharp edge? I am guessing you are, but I figured I would ask. I was thinking of putting some sort of plastic trim piece on to cover the sharp edge, or even leaving a little extra to roll up and hammer flat against the body. That seems like it would be a whole lot of work, though. Thanks for the help guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a quick question. I have tried to find the answer but I might be missing it, or maybe it isn't there. When you guys are cutting the front, are you just leaving a bare, sharp edge? I am guessing you are, but I figured I would ask. I was thinking of putting some sort of plastic trim piece on to cover the sharp edge, or even leaving a little extra to roll up and hammer flat against the body. That seems like it would be a whole lot of work, though. Thanks for the help guys.

I left my edge there. I did take the grinder to it and smooth it all out. I felt funny about leaving it like that as well but seems to be ok. It would be stronger if you rolled the edge but honestly with the flare bolted up.. it is really strong. With out the flare bolted on though.. heh pretty weak.

Ok Done with my flares.. First off Austin is right.. this is not for the faint at heart lol. It did take me around 12-13 total hours and the rears are not fun. but the finished product looks SOOO GOOOD!!!

Beautiful job Gabe, thanks for sharing! I'm sure I'll eventually go this route, do you take appointments? :wink:

• 4 months later...

I'm sure there's plenty of info on this site. But why does it have to be on here? Just search, there IS a reason for the existence of things like Google. its not like what you would be doing is ANY different than mounting any other fiberglass bodykit that isn't bolted in.

Edited by Oddmanout84

I just thought I would give my 2 cents here. I purchased a set of MSA flares about a year ago and finally after purchasing the Rotas from the group by a couple months ago I am ready to tackle this installation. I started to dry fit the flares and I am not happy with the fitment at all. As noted within the thread the front flares are different length. I also don't like how they form to the body. I did notice that people were saying tha tthe classic datsun flares are a lot better for fitment. I decided to call MSA and see if I can return them. Even after a year they gave me a RMA with no questions asked. I will get a $200 credit (I will have no problem spending that:)

I then called classic datsun and told him about my concerns with the MSA flares. He told me the entire story about how he used to supply MSA with the flares until they went behind his back and got their own molds made at the smae fiberglass fabrication shop that made his. Then he had problems with his parts getting mixed up with MSA parts. (shop mixed the molds) He told me with all honestly that he can't guarantee any different fitment than the current MSA flares. He told me what he would like to do is sand and fix a set perfectly and have new molds made. I was real happy with that and he said that it should only take a couple weeks. I

I am waiting for my tax check before I have him pull the trigger. I will let everyone know with pictures how they come out.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Interesting, would definitely like to purchase a set flares that actually fit.

I've had a set of MSA flares for about 6 months now and I haven't gotten the chance to mock them up yet, makes me pretty nervous. May just have to do some trimming to get the desired effect.

Interesting, would definitely like to purchase a set flares that actually fit.

I've had a set of MSA flares for about 6 months now and I haven't gotten the chance to mock them up yet, makes me pretty nervous. May just have to do some trimming to get the desired effect.

From what I've read now, its a real hit or miss affair. I got my flares from MSA and they conform perfectly to the body lines. Maybe I got one of the ones made from Classic Datsun molds? That's a pretty crummy story though... makes me upset that I didn't know at the time to purchase them at Classic Datsun in the first place.

Been there done that.

MSA now offers a flare intended to be glued to the car. Most new cars use body adhesive to adhere nonstructural panels. I have no idea how good these MSA flares are. They didn't have those when I bought mine. So I widened the inside of the edge of the flares where they meet the car body to give me more area to add 3M 08116 panel adhesive. I still used the mounting screws with red loctite to add some stability. I then used fiberglass and Rage Gold to fill in the screw indents and the seam at the car body. How well this all holds up remains to be seen. The project just finished and I have only put on a few hundred miles, so far so good.

P1010004.jpg

Edited by deja

Ok I just got off the phone with classic Datsun a few minutes ago and to tell you the truth I am disappointed. Even though we discussed making a new set that will be garanteed to fit perfect a couple of weeks ago he told me today he won't do if for a while because he doesn't have a car or the money to invest in a new set. He initially it would take a couple weeks to get a set complete. I need to get a set installed in the next month so i will be installing the set I have from MSA. I will do my best to make them fit correct. Sorry to get your hopes up for a set the fits good.

• 4 weeks later...

With me living in the UK I am wondering how the arches hold up to rust after having the flares fitted. It won't be driven much in the wet if I can help it but the cold and damp air could still get to it. I am most concerned about the arch where it gets cut and welded and the area where the bolts for holding the flares on go.

Is it possible to get it sealed up properly against water and moisture? Has anyone experienced any rust issues.