HybridZ

How to mount them there ZG Flares

240hoke

Thanks for replying Toecutter. I have an idea now. So the fatter part of the flare is suppose to face forward not back. Dam that motorsport guy really confused me. Telling me to put the thin flares in front. Ill post pictures so you can take a look and tell me if it looks right.

• 2 weeks later...

rivets look a little hack.

they're ok i guess, but i wouldnt use them. I'd use a nice square even shaped allen head bolt with a washer that has a small taper on the outside diameter, to give it some detail.

my roommate has a set of bolts for his license plate cover that I will probably be buying to use for my flares

any reason why you didnt use rivets other than you possibly want to take off the flare later?

I think that austins idea of the Bolts and nut inserts is pretty smart. I got my kit from him. It takes alittle more work, but Just incase if I mess up, I can always take it out no problem and re adjust the flares. Rivets its kinda a pain and yes doesnt have a finish look. I did mess up though so that wasn't a joke lol. I mounted the front flares too high causing my rear not to match with the front. I was like Blahh!!! O_O. Made it lower in the front to match with the rear. I have extra holes to weld up. I guess the good thing about the bolts is, once you mount on the flares, You measure how much you want to cut and then you can take it off. With rivets its either on or its off. The pain starts tmr with the cutting and the welding. There was a guy with a white 240z who used rivets and it didn't give it the finish look. Take a look back a few pages. I believe it was on this thread.

PIC-0042.jpg

PIC-0044.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on mounting YZ fenders onto my 73.

I have cut the fenders all the way up to the top of the wheel well.

My question is how have others delt with the fender well "ceiling"? (I don't know what you call it) Have you welded one up out of sheet metal? glued plastic? left it unfinished?

Here is a link to my blog of my project:

This one shows the cut:

http://web.mac.com/modernmagic/iWeb/240z/Blog/9FECB385-8CB3-438D-BA61-80B6C1517808.html

The YZ fender will cover all my messy work.

The part you have bent over and rivited usually gets cut of and then welded to the 1/4. Smoothed out and bonded then painted. i will see if i have any pics of mine around. i guess withthe fenders you are using the way you did it works.

• 3 weeks later...
:ugg: The info I am passing on has been done to a 1971 240Z over the past 2 school semesters at Fayetteville Techincal Community College. The idea came from my shop teacher. I am in a course in autobody repair to fix and repaint my Z. It did have MSA street flairs on it with the normal lowering springs - 16" by 7" rims. The flairs had been put on and the metal below it was cut back and bent over, back into the wheel well. No seem sealer or welding to close them. As we started the body repair we found the normal rust we knew that was there. We then got into the rear wheelwell area. We found a lot of rust in the area under the flairs. Him and I sat down and decided what we needed to do to do it right the first time. He came up with this great idea of using stainless steel fenders from a car trailer as the fix. We first marked the inside area of the flairs. We then removed the flairs by grinding down the pop rivits and then slowly removing the flairs that had been glued on. We then cut out the metal on the outside of the wheelwell. We then cut slits into metal in the wheelwell area. After going out and buying stainless steel fenders for a car trailer (most farm and wal-mart stores carry them - cost about $20 or more for a pair of them) we trimmed one side of the outside lip off of both fenders. We also trimmed them to fit within the flairs and to fit between the outer and inside sheetmetal. He then welded them in to the outer skin first and then we bent the metal from the wheelwell up to the new metal and welded it together. Then we seamed sealed everything. It work great. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow.

:ugg: See the pictures attached. This has opened the rear wheelwell a lot. We have used fusion seamsealer to seal everything and rubberized paint to cover it. We are still working on the rest of the body work. Hope to have it painted this fall semester.

Some more pictures. We will be able now to run at least a 10" wide rim with this setup. We are starting to work on the next Z we have. We will be using a full fender setup on this one (has the fender and back side cover). We haven't decided on what flair we will be using on this one. We are looking at the 280YZ setup for now.

:ugg: Just thought you would like to see the fenders that we used. the first two pictures are the fenders we used on the Z (the shop teacher said you can cut one fender in half and use one side per side for an easier way of putting them in). The last picture is the fenders we will be using on the next Z. I will be taking more pictures as we attach them this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Im got some time on my hands here during the next couple weeks and I was gonna put some more install kits together if yall are interested. it would be the same deal.. same parts same price.

If you are interested see the group buy section and just tag you name on there. If i get 5 people I go ahead and do a run.

where is everyone getting their zg's?? i have not been too impressed with the quality of motorsport's fiberglass pieces in the past, and in you'alls pics they look pretty solid. does beta sell them?? i couldnt find them on the site