HybridZ

How to mount them there ZG Flares

240hoke

where is everyone getting their zg's?? i have not been too impressed with the quality of motorsport's fiberglass pieces in the past, and in you'alls pics they look pretty solid. does beta sell them?? i couldnt find them on the site

Post #1 and #21 in this thread. Classic Datsun

• 3 weeks later...

Heres my situation: my front flares at the forward edge drop down past the top of my MSA type 2 front airdam. The flares curve inward too much to keep them on the outside of the dam and pop the airdam out too much to just tuck them underneath. So this leaves me with cutting them off at the airdam/fender junction.

I have not worked with fiberglass before. Can I just cut the tips off with my diegrinder cutoff wheel and sand the edge down or is there a special procedure? Did anyone else run into this and what did you do about it? As a side note, I thought all fiberglass was grey, why are these black?

Hey Guys,

Torynich - Just cut and sand and your good to go!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to remind everybody that I am selling kits for the installation of the ZG's. Information is located in the "Group Buy" forum.

Also I wanted to add to this thread something about the installation of the flairs:The nutserts used in the rear must be installed properly.. I did not do this in my ZG install writeup as I didn't have the tool to do so. Most places I found sold expensive pneumatic installers ( about 100 bucks) so I just drilled a slightly smaller hole and pressed them in and then tack welded them.

Nutserts are made to be put in the hole and then compressed to make then permanently installed without any welding. Here is a picture is a properly installed nutsert:

nutsert2.gif

Pegasus Racing sells a small easy to use tool that works great for this. I just got one to test it out. It is basically just a hallow nut with a serrated bottom. You hold the nut and tighten the bolt down through the center and it pulls the back of the nutsert up crushing it into the hole. I highly recommend that you purchase a tool to install the nutserts. They are 10 dollars plus shipping from Pegasus... they come with a 1/4-28 bolt which needs to be swapped to a 1/4-20.

659.JPG

Here is the link:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...sp?Product=659

Pegasus Racing sells a small easy to use tool that works great for this. I just got one to test it out. It is basically just a hallow nut with a serrated bottom. You hold the nut and tighten the bolt down through the center and it pulls the back of the nutsert up crushing it into the hole. I highly recommend that you purchase a tool to install the nutserts. They are 10 dollars plus shipping from Pegasus... they come with a 1/4-28 bolt which needs to be swapped to a 1/4-20.

659.JPG

Here is the link:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...sp?Product=659

Nice, thanks for that link. I've been looking for an inexpensive nutsert tool.

• 1 month later...

OK, I've read this thread a couple times and I must be missing this question, or it hasn't been answered...

I want to install ZGs on my Z, however the car is probably going to be painted in a couple years once my To-do list gets a little shorter. Can I pull off my ZGs when I'm getting ready to paint and save all my hardware, or am I going to need to buy another kit from Austin when I get ready to install them again?

OK, I've read this thread a couple times and I must be missing this question, or it hasn't been answered...

I want to install ZGs on my Z, however the car is probably going to be painted in a couple years once my To-do list gets a little shorter. Can I pull off my ZGs when I'm getting ready to paint and save all my hardware, or am I going to need to buy another kit from Austin when I get ready to install them again?

Should be able to just pull the stuff off, save it, and re-install after paint.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest znow white

to answer the 280zx zg question it has been done on a 300zx with wats so yes anything is possible but with a 280zx they have huge inner and outer fender i dont see the point unless cosmetic

Hi Austin, awesome write up. I was linked to it from viczcar in Australia. Just a question I need answered asap please, when refering to cutting the outer guard on the rear, you say "do not cut all the way through" do you mean not all the way through the metal or all the way through the inner guard as well? Maybe there is something behing the guard I dont know about?

In my experience, if you cut through both inner and outer fenders then you have to weld them back together. I cut "fingers" out of the inner and bend them around the outer fender.

You can see my horrible (total beginner) weld job at:

http://web.mac.com/modernmagic/240z/Blog/Entries/2007/5/4_Customizing_wheel_wells.html

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ordered the Jim Cook Flares for all 4 corners (the rare ones for 10" rear wheels that nobody seems to have photos of anywhere- page 13 of the catalog). By the way, the fronts on the car in the photo are not the matching pair to the rears in the photo. Anyone else out there know of any photo's of the fronts installed on a car????

I was planning on compomotive custom 3 pc. wheels as I haven't been able to find where to get the wheels that you have any wider than 7's. Can you tell me where I can find them? By the way your car looks incredible and I am thinking about switching to your flares as well. Some of these old flares from the 80's either had lot's of extra finish work for symmetry or else something might have happened to the molds?? The car I saw my rears on in the 80's was much more impressive than what appears to be the potential of the glass sitting in my garage. I at least want the car to look the same on both sides, and if I have 10" wheels hanging all the way to the edge do not want one tire sticking out and one tucked under if you know what I mean. Sorry for the lengthy story, but I'm trying to decide whether to punt my initial investment or work with what I have.

• 5 months later...
can anyone here, help me! i want to buy those kind of flarings for my 240z... how i wish i can have it :icon_frow

please help me. thanks

I don't believe anybody on this site sells the actual flares (with the exception of the group buy for the extra wide version). You need to talk with a company like Motorsport Auto (see link below). Or, if you search on line, you should be able to find some other vendors.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/7BSA02

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...