Z32 Tranny Install Writeup

Garrett76Zt

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fellow Z'ers.....i'm helping a friend with his Z32 tranny install too. but, we ran into a little problem last night. L30et/ Z32 tranny is in the Z already and sounding great. we tried shifting the tranny while ideling and all the fudgeing gears just grinds....not even going into gear at all.....i thought it was the slave cylinder pin( too short), i made a longer one for it, but same results. then he bought a new slave cylinder, put it in and same problem. now, i'm thinking it must be the pilot bearing collar!!!! maybe we need a longer one? i've done some research a while back and it seems there are 4-5 different ones

(as far as height) correct? could the collar on there now be too short, not pushing the pressure plate far enough to release, or stock clutch MS too small of bore.

Sounds like you are using the wrong throwout collar, don't believe it's the slave.

What size clutch/ pressure plate do you have (225mm or 240mm?) and which collar are you using (L28 NA, T5 or Z32 NA?)? If you have the 225mm clutch kit, use the longer NA collar, if you have the 240mm clutch/ kit, then use the shorter collar from the T5 trans, if you don't have the shorter T5 collar, I believe the collar from the Z32 NA should work just fine ( it was almost identical when I did a comparison with the T5 collar).

I had the same problem, when we install the z32 tranny, none of the gears would go in. We drop the tranny back put in the Z32 collar with the Z32 fork and we had to fab a longer slave cilinder pin. Put it all together and it work all right, it even pushed the car to a new e.t of 12.55 :):).

If you continue with the same problem you might want to try the collar from a KA24 it is even longer than the L28 or the Z32.

But with the above mods should be fine..

Anyone know how to check a jy tranny to make sure it won't throw up its guts? I found one for sale in Houston on craigslist but want to make sure it isn't junk.

Also are these adapter kits still available? I don't see it on their website.

Anyone know how to check a jy tranny to make sure it won't throw up its guts? I found one for sale in Houston on craigslist but want to make sure it isn't junk.

You should call them to see if they have more. As far as a trans in the JY. Try spinning the input shaft while shifting the trans?? Or if you can get them to pull it apart so you can take a look inside?

If you are not able to get a adapter plate, you can contact mazworks, they may able to help you...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work on the Transmission, Phil.

Speaking of the adaptor plate, I've had a look around and it seems like Mazworx is the only place that does them, I have a L28 in my Z (going to work it) and figured by Phils situation, I shouldnt run into too much trouble when I finally get it up and running, as far as I can tell, Ill try and contact them but do they ship internationally? getting a Z31/2 tranny isnt hard, its just that adaptor plate which is holding me back.

• 1 month later...
Nice work on the Transmission, Phil.

Speaking of the adaptor plate, I've had a look around and it seems like Mazworx is the only place that does them, I have a L28 in my Z (going to work it) and figured by Phils situation, I shouldnt run into too much trouble when I finally get it up and running, as far as I can tell, Ill try and contact them but do they ship internationally? getting a Z31/2 tranny isnt hard, its just that adaptor plate which is holding me back.

Is Mazworx the only one standing!!!

they want hi $400's

Is Mazworx the only one standing!!!

they want hi $400's

My mistake!!!

Mazworx seems to be the only place that still sells them

I just called them (1-407-281-1223) and the "KIT" sells for $670 shipped and comes with adapter, hardware, short shifter and shortened shifter bracket.

PS It really sucks that we can on send PM's every 30 minutes...Bad times!!!

My mistake!!!

Mazworx seems to be the only place that still sells them

I just called them (1-407-281-1223) and the "KIT" sells for $670 shipped and comes with adapter, hardware, short shifter and shortened shifter bracket.

PS It really sucks that we can on send PM's every 30 minutes...Bad times!!!

These guys also sell an entire kit with driveshaft, shifter relocator, machining bellhousing, etc for $1500: http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/p...00ZX+TRANS+KIT

I haven't priced each individual item to see if that's a good price or not.

Or they have the adapter for $400 on their site. Bottom left.

• 3 weeks later...

Garrett,

I was reading up on your drive shaft specs - Which flange do you have on your diff?

Also, would there be any difference in the drive shaft length in a 240Z which has been swapped to a R200?

Garretts Drive shaft specs:

Length I gave them was 29 1/16" from flange to output shaft

Flange yoke I used (same as zx turbo i believe) Powertrain Industries(spicer) part #3102-20

Slip yoke I used (30 spline z32) Powertrain Industries (spicer) part #3103-30

Spicer U-joints 1310 series #5-785X

Spicer Tube Yokes #2-28-437

They had to order a few of these parts in which tagged a few bucks onto the bill but my total was $304.39

We plan on ordering the drive shaft from Powertrain Industries in California - how has eveyones experience with them been?

Hey all,

Thought I'd share a quote on the driveshaft and also some feedback from Kyle at Import Parts Pro - he's questioning the 3102-20 flange on the rear - see below - Is he right to question that? The car this is going into is a 240Z with an R200 with a T5 (replacing the T5) and a custom drifeshaft - I forget what the flange on the diff looks like, but most likely standard 280z or 280zxt (are they the same? can't remember)

Here is the info:

1 pc aluminum = $340 your price

1pc steel = $220 your price

1 day to build.

I would confirm with the customer on the 3102-20 flange on the rear. I rarely see that flange used on the rear.

Thanks,

Kyle Puckett

Import Parts Pro

19505 Wied Rd STE E

Spring, TX 77388-4482

281-288-0700

AIM: KyleatIPP

Yahoo: KyleatIPP