HybridZ

Z Virtual Tape Measure

Well, I was looking for intercoolers on ebay a few days ago and realized I didn’t know what would fit my Z without a tape measure and my car in front of me. So, I decided to create a cheat sheet with the dimensions of my ’73 240z’s engine bay and seats. I figure these might be useful to other people, so I’m posting it here.

If any of the measurements are hard to understand just ask and I'll explain what I was measuring.

[update] 7 years later, Mark was right. Thankfully, I never delete anything. I re-hosted the pics on my personal website because I am having issues uploading to HybridZ right now.

Overhead View of the Engine Bay

Overhead.jpg

Firewall
Firewall.jpg

Passenger Fender
PassFender.jpg

Radiator Support
Radiator.jpg

Radiator Support, Driver’s Side
RadiatorDSide.jpg

Radiator Support, Passenger’s Side
RadiatorPside.jpg

Overhead View in Front of Radiator Support
InFrontOfRadiatorOverhead.jpg

Overhead View of Seat Rails
SeatRails.jpg

Side of Seat
SeatSide.jpg

Bottom of Seat
SeatBottom.jpg

Edited by The Woj
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's a really great idea. I vote sticky as well. You ought to measure it with the hood hinges in place though if you are looking for intercooler fitment. I couldn't tell if they were there in the one you used in front of the core support.

I just remember 25mm to an inch (though I just googled it and it is actually 25.4).

Google makes unit conversions really easy too. For example, search for "25 inches to mm" and it will give you the conversion at the top. This works for almost any unit of measurement, including some really obscure ones.

Are there measurements for the front strut towers, as in angles and such? Doesn't look like they are perpendicular to the front rails.

The base of the strut towers are 29 5/8 inches apart, the top outer edge is 31 1/2 inches apart. They are 15 1/2 inches tall.

That means that they run 1 7/8 inches inward over 15 1/2 inches of height. Seems to calculate out to about a 6.5 degree run at a little over 15.6 inches going up the side of the strut tower (according to a triangle calculator).

Umm... Thanks for the links.

Just to clarify; I'm lazy - not stupid ; )

Well, I didn't learn how to convert inches to mm until my senior year in high school (in Chemistry for some reason). They didn't even teach it in Physics, oddly enough.

I swear I fell asleep during all the important classes in elementary school or something.

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...