HybridZ

PROGRESS!!!!!! yes, new engine swap pics....

FJ 280z

finally got around to installing the engine on saturday, took a few hours but well worth it.

good news: the engine is in there and mounted up stronger than....well, its just mounted very solid. 1/4" steel plates, 18mm 8.8grade bolts, poly bushings, and good welds, and...ITS IN THERE!!!! trans bolted to stock location too, no driveshaft mods needed :)

the bad: steering link won't clear (have ideas to fab a new longer link to go around engine mount), starter won't clear engine mount plate on block (plasma cutter will do), intake manifold sits higher than stock hood (did someone say cowl hood), broke the rubber trans mount, turbo sits VERY close to the brake booster, downpipe VERY close to fire wall, but all in all, more modifications, more work, more fun, and more pics to come as i progress. going to hawaii for 2 weeks so when i get back work starts again, otherwise, its just sitting for now, tell me what you think......

FJ20_pics_004.jpgFJ20_pics_009.jpgFJ20_pics_002.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow neat!

As much as I love the FJ, having one in the US would scare me as parts are impossible.

I imported several brand new FJs even an FJ24 Crank and Rods many years ago and sold them within weeks of them hitting the shores here as parts are so rare and owners jump on parts...I just sold my last brand new (genuine zero mileage) FJ two years ago for more than you would pay for a front cut R33 RB26DET plus a tranny!

I hope you have a contact in Japan for Australia?

Yasin

Wow neat!

As much as I love the FJ' date=' having one in the US would scare me as parts are impossible.

I imported several brand new FJs even an FJ24 Crank and Rods many years ago and sold them within weeks of them hitting the shores here as parts are so rare and owners jump on parts...I just sold my last brand new (genuine zero mileage) FJ two years ago for more than you would pay for a front cut R33 RB26DET plus a tranny!

I hope you have a contact in Japan for Australia?

Yasin[/quote']

yasin, i did SOOOO much research on this bad boy that i can find pretty much anything for it....i realized how many parts are interchangeable as far as crank bearings to seals, i can source gaskets from AU, got hookups for parts from CANADA of all places, one guy gave me a contact for a nissan dealership in canada that can get FJ20 parts, i can get forged pistons and rods, even an ELECTRIC waterpump im sourcing from MSA. i got an extra FJ20E intake manifold, stock exhaust manifold, i can get a copper headgasket up to 2mm thick.....list goes on and on...hardest thing im trying to do now is hook it up to my megasquirt ECU but you'll hear about it soon enough....and i do remember everything you sold on ebay...i missed out on that headgasket you had, i think that was the last thing i got but dude, the KA24DE 60mm tb bolts up....i got an HKS exhaust manifold, a guy down the street(who i bought the motor from) has an extra cyl head, int, exh, oil pan and valve cover gasket i just bought for 50 BUCKS!.....when i do have questions though, i will come to you cause i know your the man for alot of this.........and like i said, i will keep everyone posted :)

Wow very coool....well I stand corrected and I am VERY happy to hear that you have such great contact to source parts! That is truly awesome. Sounds like you really have done your homework and that is the key for these rare birds. Looking at your pics does invigorate me...I feel like getting in my car and driving over to help you...heck I'm only one state away...!

Im lived in Canada for many years, so I am curious which Nissan Dealership there can source parts for you. When I lived in Toronto, all my FJ parts were sourced directly from Japan.

I'll be glad to help you out...sounds like you have some great spare parts already!!!

Looking forward to more updates.

Yasin

and i don't understand. the FJ produces more than 200 horsepower' date=' right?

why don't DOHC 2L I4's today make much more power than that? the FJ was made a longgggg time ago.[/quote']

The turbo one did. Honda has a 2L that puts out close to 200 n/a.

and about 2 ft/lbs torque :mrgreen:

im not tyring to compair the FJ to Hondas FC motor, the Nissan motor I think is a better engine.

I love Hondas S2K, I think the engine goes very well for that kind of car and I would love to own one!

b__sosick: Nothing wrong with high RPM's, and nothing wrong with all power at a High RPM. It was never designed as a drag car with power down low like a SBC.

But hell it will beat a 350Z stock for stock in a drag race if the S2K driver can launch it correctly.

I think this FJ swap is going to be KILLER!

Hondas S2000 makes 240hp out of a 2.0 N/A.

Wow. I saw an article on a Civic, forgot about the S2000.

Torque comes from boost or displacement. They make what they should given there size. It is high up in the revs though as that's what it takes to make power n/a. Not trying to take away from the FJ, they are great motors too.

i hope i don't get flamed for this, but im a tech at a honda repair shop, so we get our fair shares of s2k's and i have had my fun with them "test driving", its a fun, fast car, but i feel like im in a sardine can when i jump in them, and the first time i drove one i felt like an idiot cause i kept putting it in 6th gear trying to reverse.....but yeah, honda is the first with over 100hp/litre N/A

LHD makes it a bit difficult, mines a RHD so it was a bit easier that way. But they are a high motor to fit in a S30, ended up modding the sump to give more ground clearance. There is a pic of my FJ on my website, link below, note the more compact modded S12 inlet plenum.

LHD makes it a bit difficult, mines a RHD so it was a bit easier that way. But they are a high motor to fit in a S30, ended up modding the sump to give more ground clearance. There is a pic of my FJ on my website, link below, note the more compact modded S12 inlet plenum.

thats exactly what im talking about, the sump didn't need modification to clear, it is a tall motor, but the intake manifold sits TALL, i need a cowl hood or something to tuck that thing under. also, i got an HKS topmount so the turbo sits real close to the brake booster, AND the d. side mount got in the way of the steering link, so now i gotta fab a longer link with probably a heim joint and another ujoint style joint in there....lotta work but i can't wait to get working on it again.....taking a two week break...:-(

why don't DOHC 2L I4's today make much more power than that? the FJ was made a longgggg time ago.

Well the EVO VIII came with an upgrade option to get output to 400HP. Not too shabby.

And i'm sure we've all seen plenty of videos of 800hp EVOs online and now there are a couple of companies putting over 900HP to the WHEELS in EVOs. Some 2.0l some 2.2l. And cosworth is making aftermarket heads for the EVO, weather or not all the big HP EVOs are using this head I don't know.

And yes the S2k comes with 240hp, but lets not forget the 2.0L is now a 2.2 and the 2.0 was only in produciton a couple of years before raising the displacement due to so many bad reviews about tourque. If you wanna complain about tourque figures go elsewhere, it's basic math. HP = Tourque * RPM. If the S2k can preduce 100hp per liter then it ovbiously has tourque, just not where people want it. The s2k actually prduces alot of tourque in the higher RPM, but by the time you reach those RPM's while driving you'e not going to feel this huge push of power, duh.

It's just different, and many people don't like it. That's fine, just don't say it sucks (not saying anyone here has, i'm just saying)

Back on topic:

Than motor looks so great in that engine bay. I can't wait to see some vids of it running.