HybridZ

280ZX Intercooler Piping Example

I gave him $70 bucks, he did try his best, but he should of stopped after having problems with the first weld. He blamed it on the "overseas" aluminum pipe having impurities. The second welder ran a few test beads on pieces of scrap I had left over and it was fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the second attempt will turn out better...

You're right about the value of learning to weld yourself. Between the $1500 I paid to have the floor pans replaced and the $1000+ for the 3" inch SS catback pipe to finish off Jeffp's exhaust (they also installed the entire system for that price), I could have bought a nice welding rig with a decent air compressor thrown in. Then I could tackle my rust repair myself...hindsight is 20/20...

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm almost done with the intercooler install. After a couple of bad welder experiences, all I have left is a little clean up and put the hood back on. I thought I would take a few pictures before it gets buttoned up for the winter. I've only been able to take it for a couple of spins around the neighborhood. It seems to be surging under high boost, which may just be a leaking hose coupling. Though I plan to recirculate the BOV in the spring, for the moment I'm enjoying the sound of the HKS SSQV. Please ignore the label on the CAI pipe, its already been removed.

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04629.jpg

DSC04634.jpg

DSC04625-1.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

DSC04626.jpg

DSC04631.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

I took a break from raking leaves and washed the Z today. I hope to be able to drive it to work a couple of times this week. It's only a matter of time before we have to deal with salt here and the Z will be put to bed for the winter. I was asked to provide a few front shots with the hood on, so here they are. You can't really make the cooler out unless you look close, but you'll see how it sits perfect between the bumper shocks. I keep forgetting to install the rubber strip at the end of the hood and I have a new set of bumper covers to install when I have a few extra minutes.

DSC04662.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04666.jpg

DSC04674.jpg

DSC04675.jpg

Nice Phil...

Maybe after I get a few restaurants opened up I can start work on stripping and painting my '83ZXT, then I will MS and convert to an overdrive automatic...

I DID buy a welder and compressor, an dtook welding classes - that was because of my '75 project car though - it needs floorpans and subchassis connectors and patch panels.

The '83 needs a couple of rust throughs fixed on the body and battery tray firewall work. Since it will be my daily driver, I'm gonna learn on it first.