HybridZ

1971 240z restoration PICS

I dunno they said it was some kind of media it was not sand cause it was like red color.. very fine particles media blast was $1,380 and etching primer and then i spray PPG Epoxy primer primer was about $200

wow. that is WAY too much for any media blasting.

unless its sodium bicarbonate blasting, which is like 180 Canadian, an hour, and usually takes about 7 hours.

im sure it's walnut shell if it's red and very fine. and that means it should have been somewhere near 400 bux for the entire car.

but i will admit, the job was done well. and the epoxy primer was applied smoothly, which is always an added bonus... even though you should sand anyways at prep time just before painting.

acid dipping costs 1200 here in Ontario, Canada.

media blasting, you can usually go to a tractor trailer re-seller and rental/repair place, and they usually know a hook up that they use to re-blast equipment and repaint it when it starts to look like a pinata

Wickie,

Wow I just finished watching those Videos from Mull production of some guys restoring their 240Z then I see pictures of your project. I know exactly what I have to do with with my project now when I get everything completed on my car. I am saving the body work and frame restoration for last. Nice pictures of the progress.

Vinh

im sure it's walnut shell if it's red and very fine. and that means it should have been somewhere near 400 bux for the entire car.

That sounds about right for the exterior of the car but I had mine mounted on a rotisserie and they hit every square inch of surface on the car. They started out with plastic media and then finished it with aluminum oxide to strip body filler and rust on the spots that the plastic wouldn't clean up. The total cost was $800 and that was a no receipt cash kind of deal.

I used the same PPG epoxy primer as wickiewicked240z immediately after it was stripped and it turned out great. I highly recommend the PPG stuff too but it is expensive.

I build a temporary paint boot in my garage and I will use it to sand blast the frame. I also build a cheap rotisserie that my young friend is using to do the repair on his Z. I just need to know techniques because I have never done it before. Thanks for the pics.

Vinh

There are a ton of rotissieries that i've seen that were built with JUST piping and casters.

let me upload them =)

EDIT:

here they is!!

remember' date=' you have to seriously trust your welds with these. if you dont. you might wanna build them using large bolts and sturdy plates with holes in them.

[img']http://xs106.xs.to/xs106/06371/chassis0001.jpg[/img]

chassis0038.jpg

chassis0052.jpg

nice... at first, i began to worry about the strength of certain rotissieries that i've seen, but then i witnessed mull in his videos lifting and walking his bare shell over to the work area with 2 or 3 people, and i was convinced that the Z's lightweight metal and compact unibody would allow for even a couple of chairs with rotating assemblies welded to them to work just fine.

we rock.

:)

THE CUSTOM SEAT JUST NEEDS A LITTLE PADDING ON THE SIDES.....

hey man, nice body work. but i have a weird request.

can you take a nice picture of that seat for me (im serious). it looks like a seat i used to have as a child, and it was my favourite one =(

20 years later, I miss my little mushroom chair :(

send it to me via pm or something. I'd love to rekindle the memories :(

noooooo

that car needs rear bumpers' date=' i dont like to see people fill in the bumper areas :( makes me sad.. but thats just personal prefrence mind you[/quote']

I'ts going to have the original bumpers don't like the shave look. Im just going to take out those 2 block things on the rear bumpers and take out all the rubber on the bumpers and weld the holes.